Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calories in vs calories out

(8 Posts)
RainbowHash Tue 26-Apr-16 20:45:11

I'm using MFP, and I get how it all works and I'm pleased to say am seeing results... But... Does it really work?! I.e. If I were to do 500 calories worth of exercise (like I did today) can I really eat an extra 500 calories?! Just feels so much and I'm worried that it doesn't quite work like that.

I don't actually want to eat that much 'extra' over my normal daily target of 1200, but what if I did?!

Any experiences of not losing weight when you took the calories used in exercise directly into account like that?

TheBestChocolateIsFree Wed 27-Apr-16 07:54:48

In theory yes, in practice the calories in and out on MFP are only an approximation and it's very common for people to systematically over/under count, so you're right to be cautious. Use your scales as a guide to how the balance is working.

AuntieStella Wed 27-Apr-16 08:03:30

In theory, yes.

But in practice I don't plan to eat the difference, because I see it as a way to score off any underestimates in what I'm consuming.

But then again for me it's not usually anywhere near the 500 mark!

Morasssassafras Wed 27-Apr-16 08:12:01

If you are being accurate with your counts then yes it really does work like that.

Rinceoir Wed 27-Apr-16 08:32:14

I think it overestimates calories burned, so I don't eat them all back but I have some. 1200 is very low and hard to stick to longer term, I aim for 14-1500 and am seeing good results.

RainbowHash Wed 27-Apr-16 15:16:19

Makes sense... Thanks all for the input & advice!

givepeasachance Wed 27-Apr-16 15:20:33

I use MFP and only ever take into account 50% of exercise calories, if at all.
I try to ignore them and stick to my standard daily target. I don't think they are accurate but I only think this from experience not any evidence.

MarthaCliff Wed 27-Apr-16 23:29:58

I always ignore my exercise as I think it overestimates the calories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now