Talk

Advanced search

Not losing on 1200 cals?

(10 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Sat 03-Jan-15 08:01:28

It's only been a week, but I'm impatient grin

Been eating 1200 cals a day, plus breastfeeding, and doing an exercise class each day with only one rest day per week although have been alternating an aerobic workout with a toning (yoga / Pilates). Worked out that I was averaging 2000+ cals a day before Xmas. Why haven't I lost any weight yet?

KittyandTeal Sat 03-Jan-15 08:04:54

You're not eating enough that's why!

If you're eating 1200 plus breastfeeding that'll probably dip your actual intake to under 1000, especially on the days your exercising. You're body is desperately holding into your body fat as a survival instinct.

As odd as it sounds/feels you need to up your cals a little. Try upping to 1400/1500 a day but bulk it out with healthy fruit and veg etc. I'll bet that'll work smile

cece Sat 03-Jan-15 08:05:02

are you logging on myfitnesspal? sometimes when I dont lose I find eating a bit more helps.

LittleLostRoeDeer Sat 03-Jan-15 08:06:31

I have no idea as I would be passing out on that, never mind losing weight. I'm also breastfeeding so am actually sticking to 2000 calories for now. I've got quite a lot of weight to lose though and it always comes off quicker if you're more overweight.

Could you try either upping your calories or looking at what you're actually eating for those calories? That's all I can think of.

I agree with pp. If you're both breastfeeding and exercising you need to eat more. Mfp will tell you if you don't consume enough calories to lose weight. You're burning loads of calories but not replacing enough. It's a tricky balance. I've lost 1.5 calories so far on 1300 calories a day. If I eat less, nothing happens. Best of luck op!!

Sorry 1.5 stones, not 1.5 calories

Rockchick1984 Sat 03-Jan-15 08:14:10

I'll try increasing to 1400, DD is nearly 1 so only a few feeds a day now. I've got at least 3st to lose so I thought I'd lose quite well at least initially. I could probably do with a few less carbs too...

Saranmolly Fri 09-Jan-15 10:33:34

You're not on enough calories, you're actually putting yourself into starvation mode. Dieting, breastfeeding and exercising!! You need to feed your body for what you're doing. Starvation mode is when any food you consume, holds on to any fat content as it thinks it may not eat again. This needs to be corrected asap as it will make you ill xx

LongDistanceLove Fri 09-Jan-15 10:41:02

You need to find your basic metabolic rate, from that you can calculate your calorie intake to lose weight. It sounds like you are eating too few calories, so your body is clinging on to everything and you are not losing weight.
www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

WitchOfEndor Fri 09-Jan-15 10:44:29

Up your calorie intake but with more protein, veg and wholegrain carbs, if you crave sugar go for dark chocolate Avoid processed sugar and carbs like pasta and white bread hat are turned into sugar in the body. It isnt as simple as just the number of calories but the source that can influence how quickly you lose weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now