Talk

Advanced search

800/900 calories a day diet

(10 Posts)
radiobedhead Wed 24-Dec-14 11:22:14

Can it be done?

Went to the doctors for something unrelated on Monday but had said I was struggling with my weight (am morbidly obese). I mentioned I'd only really had success with those liquid diets, about 500 calories a day but that I just don't want to do that again.

She said I should eat 800-900 calories a day and not do a 'crash diet'. Is this not a crash diet?! sounds like hell. MyFitnessPal calculates my calories at much more than that to lose weight (as im so fat) and a thinner friend did 1,200 calories a day with success. At least with the liquid diet you don't feel hungry all the time.

So, can a 800 calorie a day diet be done? Have you done it? Any tips please? Current lifestyle and work etc means I eat out a lot, although I do try and make healthy choices when doing so. The thought of 800 calories a day is making me quite anxious and I already know I will fail! I suspect though that the answer is that I deserve to be hungry and miserable for a while having gotten so huge.

Littleturkish Wed 24-Dec-14 11:27:26

Did she specifically recommend 800-900 calories? Could you go back and ask her to help hou write a meal plan for that?

It doesn't sound right to me and I worry you have misheard her.

If you don't feek hungry on the liquid diet, can you up your water intake on a more sensible calorie limit to mimic the full feeling you get from juice diets?

PTAblues Wed 24-Dec-14 11:42:42

I have PCOS. If I want to lose weight I have to eat about 800/900 calories a day. Still is slow though. You basically only eat the things you know the exact calories of. I have weetabix, porridge, tins of soup like scotchbroth/minestrone etc. Small yoghurts. Weigh everything etc. Low sugar stuff. It's not fun but it's not for the longterm however. I have to start again in January and am not looking forward to it. I can't imagine having to do it when I was eating out. It would be impossible.
My friend who doesn't have the complications of PCOS has had great success with slimming world. Where you can eat as much as you want of certain things. It appears to be low sugar, low fat.

radiobedhead Wed 24-Dec-14 11:51:24

Yes definitely heard right. I double checked.

Thanks PTA. I guess it is all about weighing and counting. Was thinking maybe I could do two fast days a week and average out the other calories...

Jameme Wed 24-Dec-14 11:52:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tanukisan Wed 24-Dec-14 11:54:44

Christ on a bike that sounds miserable. Have you tried low carbing?

PiratePanda Wed 24-Dec-14 11:56:52

I am very surprised a GP is suggesting such a low daily calorie intake. The usual recommendation is not to drop below 1200. Why don't you start with that, very strictly, and see how you go.

Zucker Wed 24-Dec-14 11:59:47

Of course it can be done. Get onto my fitness pal and record every calorie you eat until you reach 800/900 for the day. The "starvation mode" is a myth, ask all the people out there actually starving if their bodies are holding onto the weight.

On 1200 a day I would put on weight so at about 800/900 I start to lose weight. Just means there is zero room for sugary treats or fatty foods.

HermioneWeasley Wed 24-Dec-14 11:59:56

If you're morbidly obese then even eating 2000 calories a day you will lose weight. 800-900 calories a day sounds miserable. I am a size 14 and if I stick to 1300 calories a day I lose weight slowly but steadily (including 1 or 2 days off a week to eat sociably). I log it on My Fitness Pal and I hate going over my target!

The trouble with crash diets is they aren't sustainable in the long term - you're not learning new habits which you can keep up.

Not sure if any of that is helpful?

JuanDirection Wed 24-Dec-14 12:14:09

If you can't do that every day, I recommend alternate day fasting or the 4:3 version of the 5:2 diet. You'd have to have 5-600 Cals a day every other day (or I used to do Monday, Wednesday, Friday), then you could have 12-1400 Calories every other day. It is hard at first, but much more doable if you're eating out (provided you do that on your non-fast days). It really does get you used to feeling what actual hunger feels like and really, it's not that bad - it goes away! It will also shrink your appetite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now