Talk

Advanced search

Fitbit

(9 Posts)
DizzIzz Sun 02-Mar-14 18:54:12

Hi, I bought a Fitbit earlier today and have set it up and I'm wearing it.

So far I have walked almost 1500 steps (not much obviously) but the device says I have burned 997 calories. Now common sense tells me this can't be accurate and after a quick google this confirms my doubts.

Am I missing something here or have I got a dodgy device.

Sorry didn't know where else to post this, thanks.

BumgrapesofWrath Sun 02-Mar-14 18:57:48

I thought it was based on you basal metabolic rate (the calories burnt from just "being") and your step calories added together.

DizzIzz Sun 02-Mar-14 19:06:22

I have no idea, just wondered if this amount seems right to other Fitbit users?

BumgrapesofWrath Sun 02-Mar-14 21:13:37

Yeah, it sounds right, if I do 10,000+ steps my calories burnt are near to 3000

DizzIzz Mon 03-Mar-14 18:47:00

Thanks, Bumgrapes. Honestly, I have no idea how I'm overweight!

Still getting used to things, just been on 40 min dog walk and apparently that totted up nearly 5000 steps, seems an awful lot to me. I'm on nearly 9000 up to now so a few more to go.

andadietcoke Fri 07-Mar-14 08:28:09

Okay, so if it uses BMR then you can really accurately work out calorie deficits? Is that the point? I want one!!

EmilyCokayne Sat 15-Mar-14 06:48:52

This really doesn't sound right to me. I only burn 100 calories per 10 minutes when doing high impact exercise so to burn in the thousands for walking seems unfeasible...

Humptydont Fri 21-Mar-14 15:57:12

The fitbit is showing you how many total calories it has calculated you have expended since midnight based on your BSM and any extra effort it has recorded in terms of steps/distance.

Your BSM is your basal metabolic rate - a rough calculation of how many calories your body burns in a day based on how much you currently weigh and whatever level of activity you usually use.

As an example - if your activity level is sedentary, your BSM is calculated by your weight in lbs times ten. My own fat ass is 230lbs - so on a typical sedentary day I burn 2300 cals just existing sitting on my bum most ofthe day and doing a bit of housework and maybe walking 2000 steps in total the whole day.

I couldnt believe I was burning that many calories and was still this fat - but now I am totally honest on my fitness pal about what I eat - I can see actually I am a total piglet and have been eating more calories than I expend far too often!

ihatethecold Fri 21-Mar-14 16:15:43

I walk 15000 steps minimum a day and I only burn about 2100.
I'm doing about 7 miles a day.
Boooo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now