Talk

Advanced search

Cake tin recommendations

(7 Posts)
mypoornips Sat 23-Sep-17 10:50:57

Looking to replace my cake tins and looking for recommendation of good quality tins.

I've got a mix of springform & loose bottom but use them indiscriminately at the moment. I bake exclusively gluten free if that makes a difference.

Zebee Sat 23-Sep-17 10:54:31

Not a tin recommendation but I am a total convert to cake tin liners, great for gluten free if it is a little more crumbly than with normal flour. So I use whichever tin fits my liners!

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 26-Sep-17 11:05:53

Buy cheap, buy twice!

Good quality bakeware can literally 'last a lifetime' and is well worth the extra outlay at the beginning if you are intending on baking regularly. There is good non-stick and bad non stick. The latter will scratch, blister, peel and rust quite quickly, and the former will take longer......but it will happen, and you will need to replace. There is also anodised aluminium bakeware and enamelled steel bakeware as well. Aluminium is the best conductor of heat but will not go in the dishwasher (better never to put any bakeware in the dishwasher as the caustic detergent will degrade any surface) and enamelled steel is heavy and robust (but can chip).

You pay your money and take your choice.

Re-usable cake liners are certainly good.

mypoornips Wed 27-Sep-17 20:47:37

I hadn't heard of the liners so will get those, thanks.

SHD that's really helpful. I'm a reluctant baker really but we have several food allergies between these days so making my own is our only option these days.

I found Waitrose spring form in the back of the cupboard over the weekend and it definitely bakes more evenly. Are there any makes you recommend?

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 28-Sep-17 08:48:06

MPN, There is nothing that requires a Springform cake pan that cannot be done in a good loose based cake pan. There has been some brilliant marketing by a German company, Kaiser, that has pushed Springforms but they are not necessary and, in my view, the more mechanical something is, the more there is that can go wrong with it. One good place to start might be to look at Delia Smith's website and see what she recommends. She also has pretty fool-proof recipes.

Synecdoche Thu 28-Sep-17 09:45:31

If you have a Homesense or TK Maxx near you I find them great for cake tins!

NannyR Thu 28-Sep-17 09:50:12

I have a silver wood multi size tin that I use for traybakes, loaf cakes, brownies, Christmas cakes etc. I bought a couple of extra sets of dividers so it has lots of size possibilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now