Talk

Advanced search

Baking Tine for Tall Tins Please?

(3 Posts)
RockinHippy Thu 25-May-17 10:34:08

I'm just starting off making a friends birthday cake. I am an experienced baker/cake decorator, but I've just realised that the design I want to do, needs a tall tin.

I have a suitable tin, but I have never used it before & it's just dawned on me that cooking time/temperature is going to need adjusting & I haven't left myself much time for cock,ups😐

Would anyone know an approximate baking time & temperature for a rich chocolate cake, baked in a 7.5x7.5 inch tall baking tin??

TIA😊

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 25-May-17 15:03:36

It is a tricky one, but it is a problem I have experienced with baking Panettone. I had a couple of goes to get it right, but I dangled a skewer down in to the cake from another one resting across the top of the pan. That gets the heat in to the middle of the cake. It may well be that it actually then cooks quicker than a smaller cake, precisely because the heat is channelled in.

RockinHippy Fri 26-May-17 11:45:22

Thank you for the reply. It was a learning curve that's for sure, but it turned out okay in the end. I spoke with a friend who bakes & she could only compare it with a panettone too & suggest the normal bake time & temperature as that what works for her.

It ended up taking twice as long & I had to turn the heat down to about 180 after 30 minutes. It also caught me on the hop as it rose much more than the recipe usually does, so I ended up with a volcano of cake on the tray it was sitting on. All salvageable though. I've cut into it to layer the buttercream & thankfully it's still nice & moist in the middle.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now