Talk

Advanced search

Glueing minecraft square shapes to the top of a chocolate cake?

(10 Posts)
SusieFlo Mon 15-May-17 14:27:11

Hello, I need cake decorating expertise...

Don't judge me bakers... I'm short of time and have bought a ready made square chocolate cake for my other half's birthday, plus a load of tiny icing squares and a couple of minecraft figures. The idea is for me and my 5 yr old to decorate the cake to to look like a minecraft scene.

I've added a couple of pics here...

What can I use to glue the icing shapes onto the top of the cake? I'm thinking Nutella... would that work ok? (I have to do it in a short window after work and haven't got time to get fancy ingredients)

thanks for any advice!

FlaviaAlbia Mon 15-May-17 14:31:27

The icing on top off the cake looks soft, could you just push them in?

If not, Nutella might be a bit tricky to keep the squares clean on top but it would work.

BathroomOnTheBroom Mon 15-May-17 14:31:45

I did something similar for my son's birthday cake (although I cut loads of fondant squares - if I'd only known you could get them ready made!) and I think I used warmed up plum jelly (home-made preserve, but was using it in lieu of apricot jame which is usually recommended). I expect nutella would work too but I'd warm it up a little first.

FlaviaAlbia Mon 15-May-17 14:32:13

Though you might need to scrape off the chocolate curls first...

BathroomOnTheBroom Mon 15-May-17 14:32:47

*Jam, obviously, not jame.

BathroomOnTheBroom Mon 15-May-17 14:33:57

I'd missed the second pic, agree it might be easier on a flatter surface so scrape extra chocolate bits off

SusieFlo Mon 15-May-17 14:36:36

Thanks v much for the fast and helpful replies. I will do as suggested - scrape off the flakes and warm up the Nutella. x

Starlight2345 Mon 15-May-17 14:37:12

I did a similar cake for my DS.. I covered in butter cream icing and stuck them on....The chocolate flakes may cause a problem so like pp may need to scrape them off..

I also bought the pre cut squares..Didn't bother telling my DS my cheat and now he feels extra loved for the effort I put in. shhhh

BiddyPop Mon 15-May-17 14:42:07

If that is fondant icing for the squares, you might be able to "glue" them just by using a paintbrush, dipped in plain water and dabbed to take off excess, just paint the underside with water and it should stick on.

Caveat - I do some decorating, putting fondant onto fondant - but am very much a home baker only not any kind of pro knowing what is really right/wrong.

Alternatively, if you have some plain icing sugar, make a stiff-ish water icing (add a tiny amount of water to a bowl of icing sugar, add tinier still amounts to make it loose enough for your needs). That should definitely work.

SusieFlo Mon 15-May-17 14:48:46

Thanks for the tips. I did wonder about using icing but thought it might not go with the chocolate cake. But, having said that, the entire topping is not really going to 'go' with the chocolate cake... so I suspect it will get pulled off before anyone bites into a slice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now