Talk

Advanced search

Egg substitutes

(5 Posts)
Daisydots Wed 12-Apr-17 17:29:49

I need either a good egg substitute (preferably an ingredient rather than some odd premade one) or a recipe that doesn't call for eggs.

Would like to make my lovely friend something sweet but she is allergic to eggs and nuts. I'm not really interested in vegan recipes as there is no need to discard the yummy dairy.. grin

SolomanDaisy Wed 12-Apr-17 17:32:58

You can use ground linseed mixed with water. Works pretty well.

hazelnutlatte Thu 13-Apr-17 07:33:24

What sort of recipe are you thinking of? I do a fair bit of egg free baking and it really depends on the recipe. Ground flaxseeds, for example, are ok in a savoury recipe but imo are crap in cupcakes.
Banana can work quite well in sweet recipes but will obviously affect the flavour. The water from a tin of chickpeas (yes really) has loads of uses and you can use it to make egg free meringue and mousse. For cakes, I find that mixing a tablespoon of lemon juice or cider vinegar with some soya milk and leaving it for 5 mins before adding to the recipe makes a lovely light sponge (you might be able to use cows milk for this but I've never tried it.
I'd recommend you google vegan recipes for whatever you want to make and hen you can always swap the dairy products back in!

NeedABumChange Thu 13-Apr-17 07:43:31

I have successfully used Chia seeds. It s very important to buy them whole and grind at home, as they must be freshly ground to work. Then mix with water, leave a little while and you have an egg. I find chia is better than flax seed.

canihaveacoffeeplease Wed 19-Apr-17 20:47:34

In a lot of vegan recipes (especially American ones) they use 'applesauce' instead of eggs, and they come out really well, Moist and delicious. You can either mAke your own apple purée but blend well so it's very smooth, or use a jar of apple baby food (mn tip there, works really well!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now