Talk

Advanced search

Christening Cake

(5 Posts)
BringMeTea123 Tue 04-Apr-17 16:29:01

Hi all,

We have just started to plan my sons Christening which is in June.
I'm in no way an expert baker, I can make cupcakes and pipe icing. However I wanted to have a go at making his cake myself. (We will still have one professionally made as a back up lol).

What is the icing called that you use on these sort of cakes?... is it marzipan? And how easy is it to make?

I wanted to do a Peter Rabbit theme, where can I get a little Peter figure from to go on top?

And how long would this sort of cake take to make? I was thinking a sponge cake, so what sort of life do these have? Obviously I would need to make it in advance.

Thank you to anybody who takes some time to read this and thank you in advance for any advice and help x

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 05-Apr-17 09:26:59

If you want a traditional cake then it would be usual to have rolled fondant covering on it...that's the smooth, white or coloured covering you see on most pro cakes.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-cover-cake-fondant-icing

This is a good basic tutorial . Some people prefer to use a madeira cake rather than a sponge if the cake is going to be large and covered in heavy decoration.

That's because Madeira is more dense and can hold up better.

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 05-Apr-17 09:28:28

Oh and for Peter Rabbit

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peter-Rabbit-edible-Cake-Borders-x-3-strips-Deco-icing-or-wafer-Cake-topper-/322308895491?var=&hash=item4b0b1b7303:m:m8nhSYHppz-4ekqFai2641w

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpeter+rabbit+cake+topper.TRS0&_nkw=peter+rabbit+cake+topper&_sacat=0

BringMeTea123 Wed 05-Apr-17 10:56:19

Perfect!

Thank you for your reply. Not long after I posted this I discovered ready to roll icing so I will be looking in to that now 😊.

Thank you for the advance regarding the sponge too!

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 05-Apr-17 15:36:30

Madeira cake has a longer shelf-life which may help in the run-up to the day. In fact it improves after a couple of days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now