Talk

Advanced search

Guitar Birthday cake

(11 Posts)
rightsofwomen Sun 02-Apr-17 08:03:36

Not being deterred by fact I am not a great baker, I am going to bake guitar cake for DS. Tin is about 17" long.

How much mix shall I make?
I will ice with (the ever forgiving!) butter icing. Again, how much shall I make? And how long to bake?
Tin is very thin metal.

imsorryiasked Sun 02-Apr-17 09:40:37

Measure the diameter of the widest part of the guitar body - looks about 8"? If so I'd make enough for 2 x 8" tins.
Are you doing basic sponge mix or something else?

rightsofwomen Mon 03-Apr-17 10:33:50

Thanks.
I didn't do it yesterday in the end, will try and find time today.
Yes, just a basic sponge...I think?

Am worried that I won't get the cake out of the tin. Would you just grease it or line with parchment (and risk strange dents and lines)?

I've realised that icing with butter icing will be hard as I'll lose the markings of the guitar...I think?

Honestly, I'm a bit rubbish at this sort of thing. Any tips would be appreciated.

Oh, just found a pic on the internet. Ahem....

KonKatenate Mon 03-Apr-17 10:39:18

There is a method for estimating how much cake mix you need here :http://cakesbakesandcookies.com/2015/05/28/faq-how-to-measure-the-volume-of-a-cake-tin/

Picture looks amazing - looks like piped buttercream for the main part

rightsofwomen Mon 03-Apr-17 18:08:02

Thank you.

Off I go. The boy/man (he's 18) will eat it regardless!

rightsofwomen Mon 03-Apr-17 20:23:08

So far so good!

I should quit while I'm ahead. Icing is not my forte!

rightsofwomen Mon 03-Apr-17 20:51:19

I can't ice it till tomorrow. Do I just wrap in cling film and leave in cool place?

rightsofwomen Wed 05-Apr-17 00:16:12

The finished cake. I'm pleased. And son is happy.

MrsA2015 Wed 05-Apr-17 00:26:22

Looks great op!

pollie9 Sat 22-Apr-17 04:32:57

I'm inspired with the effort that you guys exerted in your cakes. Soon I'll be making my very own drum cake for my nephew's birthday.

PanannyPanoo Sat 13-May-17 17:12:42

fantastic. Looks fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now