Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend easy cake recipes for a novice to bake with kids?

(17 Posts)
Howaboutthisone Thu 23-Feb-17 08:51:42

Just that. I'm not particularly great at baking and have little experience but I've told the kids we'll bake a cake this half term and want to move away from the shop bought add milk and eggs boxes!

Howaboutthisone Thu 23-Feb-17 09:57:00

Anyone?

SuperFlyHigh Thu 23-Mar-17 18:24:37

I'd just google a chocolate cake with choc buttercream filling. Decorate with smarties. Follow recipe for Victoria sponge but no vanilla essence add cocoa powder to both sponge and buttercream.

annandale Thu 23-Mar-17 18:29:51

Get a stick blender with beaters.

Follow the recipe on the stork for cakes box. 175g fat, 175g sugar, 175g self raising flour, 3 eggs, splash of vanilla essence, whizz, bake 30 mins or so, cut in half, spread jam on, put halves together.

For chocolate version replace a few spoonfuls of flour with cocoa or drinking choc and sandwich with choc buttercream.

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 23-Mar-17 18:31:43

The important bit is the icing!!!

gluteustothemaximus Thu 23-Mar-17 18:39:05

Bestest, most easiest cake recipe I have ever made is Mary Berry's banana and choc chip muffins.

Sorry for the fail link www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2271296/Mary-Berry-food-special-Banana-amp-chocolate-chip-cupcakes.html

Get ingredients. Put all in a bowl. Mix. Into muffin cases. Cook. Eat. Heaven...

grin

FinnegansCake Thu 23-Mar-17 20:24:39

Yoghurt cake is the easiest ever, my DGS (5) makes it by himself (under supervision)

Empty a vanilla or natural yoghurt into a mixing bowl, then wash and dry the container. Use the container as a measure.
Put 3 pots of SR flour, 2 pots of sugar and 1 pot of sunflower or corn oil in the bowl, with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 3 medium eggs. If you like, add lemon or orange zest, maybe a teaspoon of cinnamon if you want. Stir it up really well, pour into cake tin and bake at 180C for about 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Dredge with icing sugar when cool, or decorate with chocolate or icing etc. Easy, and normally foolproof !

BernieKosar Thu 23-Mar-17 20:35:13

weigh two eggs (in their shells), then mix them with the same weight of flour, sugar and butter. add cocoa, raisins, choc chips etc if you like.

put into cake cases/muffin tray and cook on 200C till lightly brown on top (about 10 mins) or a knife comes out clean.

foolproof and easy for little kids.

purplecoathanger Thu 23-Mar-17 20:38:27

Lemon drizzle cake is easy peasy. Google is your friend.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 23-Mar-17 20:44:23

Google - all in one sponge method

HerrenaHarridan Thu 23-Mar-17 20:58:55

BBC good food chocolate sponge.

Perfect every time

Lapinlapin Thu 23-Mar-17 21:02:34

Cupcakes / fairy cakes are good to make with children. They love putting the cases in the tin, and there's scope for 'artistic' decorating with icing /sweets/sprinkles once they're cooked!

I usually use Mary Berry recipes:
www.bakingmad.com/mary-berry-chocolate-cupcake-recipe/

TheCakes Thu 23-Mar-17 21:06:15

Do you have kitchen scales? That's half the fun for kids. If you get a simple all in one recipe and follow it, you can't really go wrong.
I'd probably start with fairy cakes in bun tins, with icing and sweets/sprinkles.
Have fun!

KP86 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:12:31

Scones

1 cup lemonade (or soda water for more savoury scones)
1 cup double cream
3 cups SR flour

Mix together either with a butter knife or dough hook in a mixer, when it's come together give it a light knead with a bit more flour (separate into chunks for the kids), then shape into scones, and bake for 12-15 mins in 220' preheated oven.

Jecan Thu 23-Mar-17 21:17:45

this chocolate cake I make it in one bigger tin (23cm) without the choc icing. I either buy some choc glaze to put on the top or just dust with icing sugar

muckypup73 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:20:53

I will keep an eye on this post.

Howaboutthisone Fri 24-Mar-17 09:28:23

Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now