Talk

Advanced search

Where's the thread to show off?

(53 Posts)
MaureenMLove Thu 02-Feb-17 17:16:51

I just decorated a cake and I think it's rather lovely, so I make no excuses, I want to show off! grin

Bakers and decorators are allowed to show off in their own section of MN, right? Anyway, it's a very simple baby shower cake, but I think it's really pretty. Not my usual 3 tier, modelling creations, but good nevertheless!

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 02-Feb-17 17:17:54

I LOVE that. It's very pretty. Good job cake

MrsAHotch Thu 02-Feb-17 17:18:04

That's beautiful, OP! I've resigned myself to be a taste led home baker rather than an impressive looking cake creator grin

GiaContettiBonafetti Thu 02-Feb-17 17:19:31

Aw that's so cute! I make loaf cakes - lemon drizzle isn't very photogenic wink

MaureenMLove Thu 02-Feb-17 17:23:25

Thank you. Anyone on here that knows my baking will know it's probably one of the simplest cakes I've done, (don't mention the 3D R2D2 cake that nearly killed me) but somehow the simplicity of it makes it a firm favourite!

ExpatTrailingSpouse Thu 02-Feb-17 18:58:33

ooooh - is there actually a thread to show off? always wondered if that'd go down well or not.

very nice cake smile

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 02-Feb-17 18:59:51

That's fab.

MaureenMLove Thu 02-Feb-17 21:27:13

Fuck it Expat, there is now! Show us your best! grin

FlyingGoose Thu 02-Feb-17 21:34:43

Love it! My first and best... I tried so hard, took days!

ExpatTrailingSpouse Thu 02-Feb-17 22:50:18

Not at home but here's one:

ExpatTrailingSpouse Thu 02-Feb-17 22:50:43

Will post more later grin

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Thu 02-Feb-17 22:58:06

Beautiful cakes! I love decorating cakes but never have anyone to show blush

MollyHuaCha Thu 02-Feb-17 23:00:54

Wow, MN has talent! cakesmile

7SunshineSeven7 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:05:53

Amazing cakes! Since this is a cake thread I will do the obligatory response:

Amazing work OP! Don't do mates rates, she's cheeky for asking for it for so little! Charge her more than that. People don't take into account the cost of ingredients and the time it takes. wink grin

PonderLand Thu 02-Feb-17 23:21:42

Yay! I love this thread. I did a cake dec course at my local college a few years ago and it was so much fun! I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in cake decorating. You learn lots and the tutors normally participate and encourage students to try competitions throughout the uk!

MrsAHotch Thu 02-Feb-17 23:47:56

I can't decorate at all <cries into cake tin>.

ExpatTrailingSpouse Fri 03-Feb-17 00:00:30

A few more efforts

ExpatTrailingSpouse Fri 03-Feb-17 00:05:27

Hmmm. Did my pics come through?

ExpatTrailingSpouse Fri 03-Feb-17 04:01:23

cakes from the last couple of years. my first ones were a bloody awful mess in comparison.

ExpatTrailingSpouse Fri 03-Feb-17 04:09:43

One more - this is my mates rates ($0) cake. Offered to do a simple "1" buttercream iced cake using a cake pan - friend showed up with a bag of some supplies excited about how I could do this cake with a "1" standing on top as well, with fondant icing which i'd never done in my life. Ended up spending 3 nights straight making it when DS was only 6 months old. She did not get the 1 cake on top.

Thanks for letting me show off - none of these are as professional looking as the others on here.

MaureenMLove Fri 03-Feb-17 06:09:15

Wow, what a clever bunch we are! I love all of them, really, really lovely. Particularly love the ivy one! Really classy.

I usually make them for close friends or family and they know how much effort goes in to them, so they buy all the ingredients for me, then give me some money for the making. Sometimes I just make them for presents instead of buying a gift, iyswim.

Here's my R2D2. That was a gift for my brothers 40th birthday. I nearly retired after that!

MaureenMLove Fri 03-Feb-17 06:15:16

Superhero, and all of you really, you must show off! It's a really bloody talent and you should be proud! Self taught or guided with a professional, it doesn't matter, you've got to have patience.

I spend hours trawling through YouTube for tips and ideas. I got a bit technical for DDs 21st cake, with the help of YouTube. She wanted classy, so I made this

BackInBlack78 Fri 03-Feb-17 07:40:42

I was very proud of this creation... but not so much now I've seen all these pictures... ha ha ha!

MaureenMLove Fri 03-Feb-17 17:00:54

Hey, that's great! You know what, it doesn't matter how good or bad you think your cakes are, the recipient will always remember the cake you made, not the one you bought in Asda.smile

lia66 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:25:02

This nearly finished me off this weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now