Talk

Advanced search

Anti gravity cake - which icing?!

(10 Posts)
longdiling Sat 14-Jan-17 07:37:14

I want to make one of those cakes where it looks like skittles are pouring out of a packet. Ds only likes vanilla sponge and icing though, not chocolate and all the recipes I've found use ganache or chocolate icing to stick the sweets onto the straw. Would normal buttercream work as well?

Perfectlypurple Sat 14-Jan-17 07:39:57

I doubt buttercream will hold it. You can get edible glue but I'm not sure if that would hold. Maybe put fondant icing around the straw then glue the skittles on? Not sure if the fondant would be too heavy though.

Buttercream wouldn't hold it doesn't dry hard enough. The sweets would just gradually slip back down the straw. Agree edible glue might be your best bet.

longdiling Sat 14-Jan-17 07:46:43

Damn, that's what I suspected. Maybe I could use vanilla buttercream on top and melted chocolate just for the straw? I'm doing this horribly last minute so I'm not sure I can get edible glue in time. I guess I could even use normal glue?! Obviously nobody could eat the straw skittles though.

longdiling Sat 14-Jan-17 17:32:37

Well after faffing with melted chocolate and actual glue and failing totally, I used buttercream after all and it was a success!

Perfectlypurple Sat 14-Jan-17 18:36:05

Picture please.

longdiling Sun 15-Jan-17 07:55:27

Not remotely professional quality but the kids like it!

Perfectlypurple Sun 15-Jan-17 11:14:54

That look really good.

BumWad Sun 15-Jan-17 11:19:09

It's looks great!

longdiling Sun 15-Jan-17 11:24:22

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now