Talk

Advanced search

My flapjacks are shit!

(11 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jan-17 11:08:12

They taste taste great but they always end up a big pile of crumbshmm

DS has requested some for lunch boxes,help please!

I haven't got condensed milk in so preferably recipes without it please.

Oh and if I can sneak some apricots in somehow he'll be delighted as he loves themsmile

What am I doing wrong ?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 13-Jan-17 11:09:55

my best tip is to keep them in a tin for a couple of days, they seem to hold better. I'll go see if i can find my recipe and come back!

runningLou Fri 13-Jan-17 11:14:51

This is my fail-safe recipe - has never gone wrong! Dead easy and I add all kinds of nuts/seeds/dried fruit to it. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds, dried apricot and cranberries are my faves.

100g butter
75g demerera sugar
75g golden syrup
225g porridge oats

Preheat oven to 180/gas 5. Melt butter, sugar, syrup in a pan until sugar melts (i.e. no crystals visible). Do not let mixture boil. Remove from heat. Add oats and mix well. If you are adding dried fruit e.g. apricots then chop them small so they mix in nicely and adjust quantity of oats slightly (approx. 200g).
Put mixture in baking tin lined with greaseproof paper. Whack it hard with back of wooden spoon or similar to make it flat and to help it stick together in the oven. I find this stage very therapeutic!
Bake for approx. 20 min or until it starts to go golden-brown.
Cool in tin for 10 mins to keep the shape, then slice whilst still warm and remove from tin to continue cooling.
Let me know how it works out!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 13-Jan-17 11:17:08

250g/whole pack of butter
100g golden syrup
150g soft brown sugar
350g porridge oats
150-200g of yummy things**

Melt butter, sugar and syrup together..you need to get it hot enough to melt the sugar properly
Stir everything else in.
If your yummy things include chocolate raisins or anything melty then let the syrup mix cool before you stir everything together, otherwise your flapjacks will be brown
Press into 8x12 tin and bake for 20 mins @gas 4/med oven

and mark into pieces while hot, but leave in tin until cold, keep in a tin for a couple of days for maximum flapjack goo texture.

**yummy things usually involves all the ends of packs of worthy seedy things, dried fruits, craisens, nuts, chocolate raisins, choc chips...all that.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jan-17 11:30:28

Thank you!!!

I'll give these suggestions a go.

SchoolNightWine Fri 13-Jan-17 11:42:29

I only ever make Davina's 'sugar free' ones now - delicious and healthier than the usual recipes. I do half and half honey/maple syrup, don't add coconut and you can replace the dates with any fruit you like. Also, always use a silicone baking tray - flapjack just pops out with no sticking at all:-)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jan-17 12:59:03

LOL@ sugar free grin

Coconut sounds like it would be nice,yum!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jan-17 13:43:53

Running Lou- I have your recipe in the oven as I type! I had to quadruple your quantities though, DS is a 15 year old over 6ft teengrin

Fingers crossed!

runningLou Fri 13-Jan-17 16:49:44

Wow! Quadrupled that would make a whopper of a flapjack! You may need to adjust cooking times ...
Hope it turned out ok and DS enjoyed it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 13-Jan-17 16:57:25

I made it in a big tray grin

DS has some,then his hungry mates have two or three each ...Dh has some...Give some to my friend up the road. They disappear fast here!

It's still in the tray and looking very stuck to the greaseproof paper so far...Keep fingers crossed!

peekaboo1 Mon 23-Jan-17 18:43:59

Using this recipe I made chewy flapjacks for the first time ever (normally crumbly and rubbish) http://duramecho.com/Food/Flapjack/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now