Talk

Advanced search

Small Christmas Cakes

(4 Posts)
ineedaholidaynow Thu 24-Nov-16 07:40:12

Earlier this year I made a wedding cake, traditional fruit, and the recipe was based on 9 inch round tin.

A couple of relatives really liked the cake and I thought I could make them a small Christmas cake each, using the same recipe. If I use the same quantities what size tins can I divide the mixture in to? Do I also need to adjust the cooking time?

I have seen a number of different recipes where they give different quantities for different tins, but not for this particular recipe. Everyone who ate the wedding cake, said it was a really nice flavour (I don't eat fruit cake so wouldn't know) so would like to stick to the same one. Also the wedding cake was the first fruit cake I had made, so again would like to stick with what I know.

YoungPretenderMortificado Thu 24-Nov-16 09:41:10

You will need to adjust the cooking time for smaller cakes but there's no science to it, you will just have to check on them.

I do this all the time - I just buy smaller tins and use up the batter as it fits in the smaller ones. Any left over I just pop into a muffin case or very small loaf case (single serving). It's tricky to predict exactly how many smaller cakes you can make in advance, just wing it, I'm sure they will be lovely!

viques Thu 24-Nov-16 09:45:13

If you google Nigel Slater small Christmas cakes it should take you to a guardian page with his small Christmas cake recipe with timings etc. The cake itself is fabulous, he says to use more interesting fruit like sour cherries, golden raisins , apricots etc which make a change from the usual currents etc. I make it packed with fruit and it is the best cake ever.

ChickyDuck Thu 24-Nov-16 09:50:42

Just doing the maths, two 5 or 6 inch tins would be about the same surface area as one 9 inch tin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now