Advice needed on covering a number cake

(4 Posts)
5Foot5 Mon 14-Nov-16 13:31:03

First let me state that when it comes to decorating cakes I know my limitations. Baking the cakes I am reasonably confident about but I know from past attempts that if I attempt anything too elaborate it will end up looking like one of the things they make fun of on Extra Slice!

However, I have undertaken to make a 21st birthday cake. I have hired cake tins in a 2 and a 1 shape and plan to do plain Madeira filled with jam and butter cream. For decorating my idea was to cover with ready made fondant icing, pipe a few rosettes around the top edge and stick on some ready made sugar paste flowers. See, not too ambitious. I hope.

In order to make it even easier I was hoping that you could buy the fondant icing not only ready made but also ready rolled. Well you can but all the brands I have seen (Tesco and Dr. Oetke) assume that you are covering a round cake so they sell it in a big disc.

Now this is my dilemma. I had assumed that the way to go would be to measure the depth of the cakes and the perimeter and then cut rectangle of icing to go around the side. I would then use the cake tins as a template to cut the top. However, if the icing comes in a big disc then this is going to be difficult and wasteful.

So I wondered whether the best way would be to put a big disc over the entire cake and then smooth the sides. Would this work or would it go all baggy at the sides from the extra icing?

Could any of you talented lades out there tell me how you would, or have, tackled it.

BTW Am I right in thinking that a thin layer of buttercream around the top and sides of the cake to stick the fondant on with gives a better finish. Crumb coating and all that. Just remembering Jane's fondant fancy debacle...

KikiNeedsABroom Wed 16-Nov-16 19:59:36

I don't work with fondant other than making things like Darth Vader's face or blades of grass so I have no idea! Good luck!

SousaHadABigCurlyOne Sat 19-Nov-16 00:15:17

Well it was a disaster!!!

I didn't even get as far as decoration, so much for my confidence that I could bake the cake ok. When they came out they were as hard as a very hard thing. I think maybe I made a mistake with the baking time as I gave it the time a round fake would take without thinking about the numbers being thinner.

They went in the bin with a dull thud and then we went to the supermarket and bought a ready made cake and fancied it up as best I could.

So word of warning to anyone baking a number cake, be very cautious with the timings

SousaHadABigCurlyOne Sat 19-Nov-16 00:16:06

Oh yes I have name changed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now