Christmas cake?

(7 Posts)
TiredandGrumpy2014 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:45:19

Is anyone making a Christmas cake this year? I've never made one before, as I don't really like fruit cake! But am doing a cake decorating course so learning to marzipan and ice it etc- so need a proper fruit cake this year. And perhaps I can impress the in laws with my cake.

Anyone got a fail safe recipe? Or any other tips for a beginner? I'm an ok baker, just never tried such a heavy cake before! Thanks

SwearyGodmother Wed 19-Oct-16 16:53:58

I'd never made one before last year and was of the opinion that fruitcake was both an enormous hassle and pretty revolting thanks to DM's incredibly bitter offerings she probably stirs some of herself into the cake but last year I decided to make one for DH as we were having Christmas at home and I wanted to make it proper. I used this recipe off BBC Good Food and it was super easy. Because you melt all the fat and liquid in together there's no backbreaking stirring and it tasted pretty lovely. Everyone who ate some went back for seconds.

YouHadMeAtCake Thu 20-Oct-16 16:07:01

Delia Smith. Never fails to have them coming back for more!

goodfoodshared.blogspot.com/2011/10/delias-rich-fruit-cake.html

harderandharder2breathe Fri 28-Oct-16 11:35:25

My first year doing it and I've used a Mary Berry recipe, can't vouch for taste yet but wasn't difficult to di

ineedaholidaynow Fri 28-Oct-16 11:47:59

This was the first year I have ever made a fruit cake as made a wedding cake for a relative. Used Mary Berry's celebration cake recipe. Seemed to be a success, I don't eat fruit cake so I can't comment on the taste. But people were going back for thirds and taking extra pieces so they could have some at home smile

DH and DS were also very happy that I made a couple of trial cakes before I made the actual wedding cake. The cake seemed to be very moist whether I fed it with brandy or not.

My MIL has also passed the mantle of making Christmas cake for DH over to me, so it must be good smile

TiredandGrumpy2014 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:41:21

Thanks all. I've made the good food one as recommended this afternoon- my kitchen smells beautifully Christmassy so fingers crossed!

Sosidges Mon 14-Nov-16 21:14:07

Last year I bought a Waitrose fruit cake and iced it. Everyone said it was the bet cake I had ever made. Then theyn asked for the recipie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now