Talk

Advanced search

Seemingly impossible birthday cake request

(23 Posts)
MagikarpetRide Wed 14-Sep-16 17:43:41

DS turns 4 in under 2 weeks. Asked him what birthday cake he would like this year. He has decided he wants an Avengers cake. Great I think. Then he asks for Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Falcon... <starts panicking> ... Red Skull, Murdoch and Ultron.

I cannot find an Avengers cake or cake topper with villains and heroes. And I'm very sure trying to create those myself out of icing is way beyond my ability.

I'm hoping there's a clever MNetter out there who knows somewhere I can go to solve this. Please help! <tries talking DS out of cake unsuccessfully>

PotteringAlong Wed 14-Sep-16 17:45:15

You can put a photo onto a cake at asda if you can create a collage and somehow print it?

iklboo Wed 14-Sep-16 17:45:52

We got DH (yes, DH) an Avengers cake from Asda. Could you do one of those print your own photo / transfer ones?

sqidsin Wed 14-Sep-16 17:48:11

But mini figures to stick on top of a suitably-coloured cake? E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/2764324901/ref=cmsww_rapii_n7x2xbEMA6JK8
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/2764324901/ref=cmsww_rapii_n7x2xbEMA6JK8

MaximumVolume Wed 14-Sep-16 17:48:23

This is what we did for my DS this year:

Do they have Avengers Lego?

BBQueen Wed 14-Sep-16 17:48:33

How about getting minifigures and using as toppers in a sort of montage?

newtothenet Wed 14-Sep-16 17:49:06

My daughter wanted a whole host of cartoon characters and real toys on a cake. I used Photoshop to make a collage (although I appreciate not everyone has Photoshop but maybe paint or similar would do it) then printed then got it printed onto a cake topper in EBay and put it on to of my own cake.

MaximumVolume Wed 14-Sep-16 17:49:20

I meant to say, does your DS have Avengers Lego? They do make it.

newtothenet Wed 14-Sep-16 17:49:43

Love the mini figures idea - a cake and a toy in one!

Cheerybigbottom Wed 14-Sep-16 17:50:53

Check eBay, I've seen edible printed picture things on there for cakes. Perhaps they do small ones for cup cakes with villains and you can get the big superhero cake from asda?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 14-Sep-16 17:51:34

I had a similar problem when my son asked for a Star Wars cake with all his favourite characters.
I then struck on the idea of buying some little plastic mini figures which I stuck on the top of a cake topped in chocolate. It sounds like a bit of a cop out but he was thrilled and all his friends thought it was 'awesome', grin

The best part was he could keep the toys (after I'd washed all the chocolate off their feet!)

annandale Wed 14-Sep-16 17:51:39

Image transfer onto a square cake, shitload of icing round the edges and sides, press jelly tots into the icing. Minifigures standing guard round the edges maybe? Be prepared for actual fights over who gets the Captain America figure (or whichever you don't have two of).

annandale Wed 14-Sep-16 17:52:34

Minifigures on cake also = party bag.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 14-Sep-16 17:53:00

Ah cross post, someone else thought of the mini figures. I thought it was my genius idea!

FlouncingIntoAutumn Wed 14-Sep-16 17:57:39

If you want to do a home bake you could do something like a volcano cone shaped cake, lots of chocolate butter cream and crumbled flake, strawberry laces pouring out as lava flow and then the characters dramitically posed around the scene. Crumbled digestives would make a good base layer covering as soil.

4 is great because what ever you do they'll love. Their imagination fills any gaps.

MagikarpetRide Wed 14-Sep-16 18:01:14

Mini figures is a genius idea! Thank you all. Knew someone (or everyone grin) would come up with something.

Our Asda said they wouldn't do a print out because of copyright issues.

ik my DH has had several lego themed cakes, I swear they make the biggest kids.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 14-Sep-16 18:39:59

You're welcome. I thought of it first, I'm just slow at typing. wink

Flouncing's 'Avengers confronting an erupting volcano' scene sounds amazing if you can pull it off.

MagikarpetRide Wed 14-Sep-16 19:14:50

Cross posted with flouncing. That's a genius idea too. Managed to located some villain superfigures to add to his good guy collection so if nothing else I'm sure he will be happy with those.

FlouncingIntoAutumn Wed 14-Sep-16 20:52:57

Here's an image of a volcano cake pinched from pinterest. Sparklers really set the scene. Strawberry jam and slightly watered down vanilla buttercream could be the lava.

Its what i class as a rough cake, my kind of baking. It looks better a bit handmade and rough around the edges.

MagikarpetRide Fri 23-Sep-16 11:22:08

Sorry to revive a dead thread but wanted to thank you all again for ideas and help again.

I had ordered some decorations to hide my shoddy side icing but they haven't arrived but here is the cake totally outs self

MrsKellyJones Fri 23-Sep-16 13:30:33

That came out really nicely! I can't work with fondant either so I normally just buttercream. Most importantly, did DS love it? I bet he did.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 24-Sep-16 08:38:14

That's great. I love the flying figures grin.

Hope your son is thrilled.

MagikarpetRide Sat 24-Sep-16 09:02:52

Thank you flowers

Ds is thrilled. There is now a story behind what happened to the chocolate building and why the avengers are fighting the baddies. 4yo imaginations are brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now