We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wedding cake advice

(10 Posts)
kohl Tue 16-Aug-16 11:31:59

I'm making a friend's wedding cake - trad fruit, but they don't want whole nuts...the recipe I have included almonds, can I sub these for something else-more fruit? Or flour? Thank you for any advice!

PurpleDaisies Tue 16-Aug-16 11:33:19

I'd just leave them out.

kohl Tue 16-Aug-16 11:39:25

Thanks purple - you don't think it'll affect texture of the cake/cooking? (Can you tell I'm stressing out about this!)

PurpleDaisies Tue 16-Aug-16 11:41:19

No, honestly it'll be fine. I often make fruit cakes without nuts even though the recipe has them in. In my opinion the have no place in fruit cake!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 16-Aug-16 11:45:01

Yup, just leave them out. I bake fruit cakes regularly and always skip them, most people don't like them whole. It won't affect the bake time or consistency of the cake.

MaureenMLove Tue 16-Aug-16 11:46:28

My fruit cakes are different every time, despite using the same recipe. Just depends what fruit and/or nuts I've got in the house!

Personally, from an allergy point of view, I wouldn't use nuts in a cake that's going to be offered to a large amount of people anyway. Just in case.

PurpleDaisies Tue 16-Aug-16 11:47:29

maureen would you leave out the marzipan?

kohl Tue 16-Aug-16 12:05:12

Thanks so much all-God, I'd be stuffed without mumsnet! I'm including ground almonds and marzipan -so I'll make sure the people serving know it's got nuts in.

MaureenMLove Tue 16-Aug-16 12:16:51

Umm, good point! grin. I haven't actually done a wedding fruit cake, which I suppose really needs marzipan, I generally get asked for Christmas cakes and I use fondant icing, so don't use it.

This puts a very big flaw, in my 'aren't I good, thinking of those with nut allergies!' grin

I think it stems from working in a school, where I'm always careful not to use nuts in anything I bake for anyone there!

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Tue 16-Aug-16 12:20:59

You can make a good marzipan substitute using ground rice instead of ground almonds and almond flavouring rather than almond essence (flavouring does not usually contain any actual almond)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now