Talk

Advanced search

What flavour icing for chocolate cake?

(5 Posts)
KanyesVest Wed 27-Jul-16 20:13:43

I'm making my niece a heart shaped birthday cake. She prefers chocolate cake, so I'd usually do a ganache type icing, but it seems wrong on a heart. Would white chocolate ganache, maybe with some pink colour, taste OK? My brain just won't compute it... confused

imsorryiasked Wed 27-Jul-16 20:16:44

Depends how old she is but could you maybe do chocolate ganache and then cover the top with raspberries or sliced strawberries?

hooliodancer Wed 27-Jul-16 20:21:35

Chocolate would look fine. Nigella does a chocolate heart like this, and puts raspberries all around the base.

But white chocolate icing with pink colour would work. I don't think a white chocolate ganache is made in the same way I.e. just cream and chocolate.

KanyesVest Wed 27-Jul-16 21:27:43

She's 9. I'll be using Nigella's old fashioned chocolate cake recipe. I made white chocolate ganache years ago, and yes if i rememberr correctly, I think it's more faff, but it is doable. I don't like buttercream with chocolate cake (and I'll be eating it too!).

Now that you suggest topping it, maybe j could put smarties or similar on the top. That could solve the problem...

imsorryiasked Thu 28-Jul-16 06:24:12

Good idea - I think you can get tubes of solely pink smarties?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now