Talk

Advanced search

Play date food

(7 Posts)
redcaryellowcar Wed 27-Jul-16 17:51:18

Having just read the Aibu on inappropriate play date food. I'm not brave enough to post in Aibu, but I need some ideas/ advice on what to offer at a play date we've arranged. It's with one of the children from dc1s new class, so I don't know the mum well, but from a couple of chats she seems lovely, they are coming over for a play mid afternoon and not staying for supper, so I'm thinking about making something as a snack, on my potential list are scones, cheese and/ or fruit or cheese straws or a cake or muffins/ cupcakes? Any thoughts?

VioletBam Thu 28-Jul-16 04:01:26

I always offer plain, cold, party like food. I've had too many children who
"don't like cheese" "Don't like sauce" "Don't like meat" etc.

I make sandwiches...two kinds...ham and cheese. I offer a small bowl of crisps if they're reception age....cut up fruit in a bowl...a little cake....like a plain, iced fairy cake...mini sausages or sausage rolls which I know are crap but hey...they all like em!

I don't think many small kids like scones. Plainish, basic cakes never get turned down though.

My older DD is 12 and if she brings a friend from school then they're offered what we're having for tea and they always eat it too...older kids tend to be more inclined to like a hot meal and more open to new things.

Jenijena Thu 28-Jul-16 04:34:03

I tend to offer whatever we've got in, if it's a time I'd offer DS something to eat. He doesn't routinely get snacks but if eg they've been running around lots or he says he's hungry I'd offer something. Recent examples have been water melon (cheap from Aldi at the moment), chipped up apple, biscuit and breadsticks. Np need to go overboard with special food.

Jenijena Thu 28-Jul-16 04:34:44

But DS would never say no to scones and cakes! Just I wouldn't go to loads of effort..

VioletBam Thu 28-Jul-16 04:39:10

My DD once came home from a playdate at a very posh friend's house and I asked her what she had eaten for tea.

"Trout" she said with a face like this hmm

Trout! She was only 5. I'm 43 and hate trout.

Fancy cooking trout when you've got a 5 year old coming over!

She ate it though because she's always polite at friend's homes.

redcaryellowcar Sat 30-Jul-16 20:09:03

I'll not do trout then! Thank you for the tips. I think simple cake should suffice. Any other ideas are very welcome of course.

UnconsciousCoupling Sat 20-Aug-16 21:12:18

I'd offer some fruit like apple slices and or strawberries and biscuits - choc chip or short bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now