Is there a rule on how to adjust sponge cake recipes to fit different shape / size tins?

(5 Posts)
fedupofpeppa Mon 04-Jul-16 13:30:03

I have a sponge recipe I like to use but it's for a circular tin. I want to use the mix but cook a big square cake instead which i ideally would like to be a bit thinner than normal so I can build a birthday cake design.

Is there a rule on how long to cook cakes for and on what temperature for different size tins?

Mov1ngOn Mon 04-Jul-16 13:31:28

Oh I'm curious about this. I never have the right size tin for the recipe!

PreAdvent13610 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:12:44

As a rule of thumb, a square tin holds about 25% more than a round tin of the same size. If you're using a square tin for a round tin recipe, keep the temperature the same, and turn the cake during baking, as the corners tend to cook faster than the middle.
Approximate conversions

Round tinSquare tin
6 inch (15cm)5 inch (13cm)
8 inch (20cm)7 inch (18cm)
9 inch (23cm)8 inch (20cm)
11 inch (28cm)10 inch (25.5cm)

fedupofpeppa Tue 05-Jul-16 06:15:07

Thank you. So same temperature bit turn it. That's helpful. As it's a bit shallower I will just keep an eye on it as will probably cook quicker.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 05-Jul-16 09:16:19

PreAdvent's rule of thumb is about right.

Area of a square cake = length of side squared.
Area of a circle = TT (pie) r squared.

With larger cakes 10" (+) it may be best to double line and cover the top to prevent the extremities cooking too quickly and give the centre of the cake a chance of catching up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now