Tractor birthday cake - what can I make the wheels out of?

(13 Posts)
fedupofpeppa Sun 03-Jul-16 17:22:17

I am going to attempt a tractor cake for my three year old by baking two rectangular sponge cakes, cutting one in half and using that on top of the other to make a tractor shape. Going to use ready to roll icing to decorate as I am not a baker and my piping etc is abysmal.

I need a really simple but effective idea for wheels. Would need to be big wheels at the back and small at the front. Any ideas?

Thanks

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sun 03-Jul-16 17:23:40

Rice Krispies and melted marshmallow 'formed' into wheels and covered in fondant.

LegoCaltrops Sun 03-Jul-16 17:25:10

Ready-made black icing? Maybe make 4 small cakes (cupcakes for example), cut into flat discs about an inch thick, then cover with icing. Indent with the flat edge of a knife to make the tyre patterns.

Don't bother trying to make black icing - I've tried & you need to much colouring, even with the high quality gels, that the icing is unmanageable.

dogdrifts Sun 03-Jul-16 17:25:14

Licorice. It's got that rubbery look too.

ggirl Sun 03-Jul-16 17:27:01

stick some wagon wheel biscuits at the back and some oreo biscuits on the front

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sun 03-Jul-16 17:28:33

Licorice wheels, you can buy big ones online. You could sandwich two together for a chunkier look.

LegoCaltrops Sun 03-Jul-16 17:29:14

Or doughnuts covered in black fondant icing.

Artesia Sun 03-Jul-16 17:31:18

These

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=255609374

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Sun 03-Jul-16 17:32:22

Swiss roll and mini rolls chopped into slices.

TheHobbitMum Sun 03-Jul-16 17:38:32

Wagon wheel biscuits? Icing on top to make the inner wheel shapes?

BikeRunSki Sun 03-Jul-16 17:42:29

Wagon wheels and Oroes
Then cut out circles of ready rolled white icing for hubs. The wine bottle top is the perfect scale for Oreos.

WellErrr Sun 03-Jul-16 17:43:10

Swiss roll covered in ready to roll black icing, then put treads in with a knife wink

fedupofpeppa Sun 03-Jul-16 19:42:08

Thank you everyone! My ds is not a liquorice fan (unfortunately as I love it ) but plenty of other ideas I can try here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now