Talk

Advanced search

do you think this is as easy as it looks?

(16 Posts)
MaureenMLove Thu 23-Jun-16 20:50:19

https://youtu.be/LPufO1h3pmo

Has anyone done it?

I think I fancy doing this for DDs 21st birthday cake! Probably do a 2 tier number, but DD has come to expect a cake creation from me and I've rather run out of ideas for her after 20 years!

I have practice time. Her birthday is in October.

How hard can it be for a reasonably competent cake decorator? confusedgrin

MoonlightandMusic Thu 23-Jun-16 21:59:02

Haven't done one, but looks do-able! Do we get to see the practice runs?

Mind you, wouldn't bother faffing about with the microwave for the melting bit - just throw the chocolate directly into a non stick pan with a dab of butter and leave it on the lowest heat setting. Does need the occasional stir, but no risk of burning that way.

MaureenMLove Thu 23-Jun-16 22:31:59

Of course you can! Won't be until the summer holidays that I practice though! I'm all caked out at the moment and too much to do at school and holiday planning!

I always do my chocolate in the microwave actually! Too much like hard work for me to do it in a pan and bowl. Do it in the microwave in a jug and it's easily pourable too.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 23-Jun-16 22:34:25

You need to use tempered chocolate or know how to temper, otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Just make sure it is completely set before peeling away the bubble wrap or it will take blobs of the chocolate with it

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 23-Jun-16 22:38:49

yep....i have done it, it was way way easier than i had expected

I didn't temper the chocolate, but i did put the whole thing into the fridge for an hour or so before attempting to peel the bubble wrap off.

I'll see if I can get a photo up

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 23-Jun-16 22:54:16

First attempt! Always meant to give it a bash with marbled white,milk and plain.

MoonlightandMusic Thu 23-Jun-16 23:01:30

Ooh that looks good Tondelaya - I don't suppose there's any left?

Maureen - I'm with you on the bowl/pan nonsense - I do mine directly in the bowl - the butter seems to work to stop it going grainy or burning.

I may have to attempt something similar at the week-end - although I've already eaten my body-weight in Tesco's finests dark chocolate gingers this week, so maybe I should wait until Monday? grin

MoonlightandMusic Thu 23-Jun-16 23:02:12

No, not bowl - I do mine directly in the pan blush

zzzzz Thu 23-Jun-16 23:05:44

I think I'd oily the bubble wrap not so much for sticking but to add a little gloss. Tempering chocolate is only mixing it, so won't tax you unduly.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 23-Jun-16 23:11:09

oh...just remembered, i melted half the chocolate and then chopped the rest really finely...mainly cos i did not want to be waiting for fucking ever for it to cool, and stirred that through until it was all melted

so that's my tip!

and thanks moonlight ...and not a morsel left of that but there is a toffee iced apple bundt in the kitchen if you are interested.

MoonlightandMusic Thu 23-Jun-16 23:20:18

Yes please! (Recipe would do either grin)

Imnotaslimjim Thu 23-Jun-16 23:47:31

Tondelaya that's tempering! So you've done it without realising it.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 24-Jun-16 20:06:01

hah...slimjim I have heard people say that before, but i didn't believe it was really

and moonlight here's the apple cake, you will need a big tin, but next time I am going to halve it and do it in my medium proper bundt tin.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 24-Jun-16 20:08:05

really tempering. ...sorry, i have been out all day quaffing prosecco with chums and am trying to listen to dh tutting about Brexit

MoonlightandMusic Fri 24-Jun-16 21:18:44

Ooh - thank you! Will attempt that tomorrow.

(Sounds as though you could do with a spot more wine too, to help with the tutting wink)

Imnotaslimjim Sat 25-Jun-16 12:03:03

All tempering is for is to add the cocoa strands that bind the fats back into the chocolate. The strands break down over 42c, so adding room temp chocolate to melted chocolate reintroduces it. I personally hate doing it, but you seem to have found a method that works really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now