Talk

Advanced search

Wibu to freeze a Victoria sponge cake?

(7 Posts)
BumpPower Tue 07-Jun-16 16:03:01

We are off on holiday next week. We very lucky as we are skint (DP unemployed me on maternity) and we have been gifted the holiday! It's a cottage in the UK. I am trying to be as thrifty as poss and wanted to bake nice cakes to bring with us (to recreate the cream tea cafe experience we can't afford). With a newborn however I have to cook in the spaces of time I have! So could I bake a vic sponge cake today and put it in the freezer and take it out Monday? Would that work? I have already iced and frozen a fruit cake as I know that works....

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 07-Jun-16 16:16:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KP86 Tue 07-Jun-16 16:24:39

It will be fine, but don't use fresh whipped cream in it. Sometimes works, but mostly defrosts badly. Buttercream will be good instead.

Yummy, enjoy your holiday.

TheFutureMrsB Tue 07-Jun-16 16:25:57

You could just freeze the sponge and take fillings with you to make it up once your there?

ChickyDuck Tue 07-Jun-16 16:32:16

I would freeze the cakes by not use or add jam/cream till you defrost for the best result. Have a fab time on holiday!

BumpPower Tue 07-Jun-16 16:33:44

Brill thanks. It's in the oven, did some mixing whilst breastfeeding, fingers crossed she sleeps long enough for me to make the buttercream and wash up!!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 07-Jun-16 16:47:33

Double wrap it, greaseproof then tinfoil, it will stop anything strong smelling affecting the taste of the cake.

You can make the buttercream in advance too, it will keep in the fridge for as long as the date on the butter. Again, keep it well wrapped if there is strong tasting foods in the fridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now