Talk

Advanced search

What happened to my rye bread?

(5 Posts)
nocoffeenouppee Tue 26-Apr-16 15:56:26

Made in bread maker for laziness. I followed the instructions. Put it on to bake and lifted out a dense, sunken doughy loaf. Anyone here made rye bread successfully have and tips to offer? Could alternatively use the kitchen aid.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 26-Apr-16 16:48:54

In my experience you really need to mix wheat in to the dough if you are going to get any rise. This is because Rye gluten does not form in quite the same way as wheat gluten, and does not, therefore, hold the structure of the crumb in the same way.

lavendersun Tue 26-Apr-16 16:53:24

I have made a rye/spelt loaf really successfully in my bread maker, just the one in the panasonic book that comes with it.

It is always very dense though, that is the grain. Have you got a second dough hook for rye flour - I got one with mine.

I have a KA too and prefer the rye/spelt from the bread maker to the same grain mix in the oven (odd!).

nocoffeenouppee Tue 26-Apr-16 18:31:38

I expected dense but this turned to dough when the crumb was pressed. Lavendersun I was using a Panasonic too. Do you mean the hook in the attached pic? It's the one I used.

lavendersun Wed 27-Apr-16 11:09:56

Yes, that is the one OP. I just use the Rye and Spelt recipe under section 13 in my book and cook it on menu 13. It has yoghurt in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now