Wedding cake sizes

(5 Posts)
nothernexposure Mon 11-Apr-16 13:28:20

I've volunteered to make a wedding cake for June and I'm now stressing about it!! The couple want a 4 tiered round cake, hopefully the bottom 2 tiers fruit cake and the top 2 layers some sort of sponge. There are about 120 - 130 guests so I was planning on a 12, 10, 8 and 6 inch cake, does this sound about right or will it be loads too much (I'm pretty sure the bride and groom aren't planning on saving the top tier for anything). I've read a couple of websites that say these sizes should be fine, but a couple of others that say a 12" cake will produce 100 slices so I'm now really confused.

Thanks.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 11-Apr-16 13:32:03

Have you got a copy of Delia Smith's complete cookery course? She has a very detailed section that covers this! I currently have 20 kilos of labrador asleep on me but if you've not got an answer soon I shall shift him and get my copy!

nothernexposure Mon 11-Apr-16 13:51:07

Thanks, I'm having a quick google in my lunch hour at work so I'll have a check in my ancient copy when I get home!

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 11-Apr-16 14:09:54

Right, page 560 in my copy (under "fruit cake - wedding" in the index. She only goes up to 11" and says that will feed about 75 people. I used her directions for my son's christening cake and it was about right IIRC!

rosyleigh Sat 14-May-16 09:26:30

The fruit cake alone (finger portions traditional for fruit cake) will give you 130 portions, so you will have plenty of cake for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now