Talk

Advanced search

Can i chill cake mix to cook later

(6 Posts)
sarahandemily Wed 23-Mar-16 21:04:05

I need to make a cake tomorrow night. I have time to make the mix but not cook it. Then I need to go out for 2 to 3 hours then come back and finish the cake.

Would it be ok to make the mix, then chill it then bake when I get back. Or should I just do the whole thing when I get in. Would be nice to get a head start if poss

BertrandRussell Wed 23-Mar-16 21:06:19

No- the raising agent will start working and the cake won't work.

Do all the weighing out and measuring, prepare the tins. You could even cream the butter and sugar. It'll only take you 5 minutes to finish it and get it in the oven.

sjane03 Wed 23-Mar-16 21:07:35

You can't as far as I know as the baking powder that causes the rise will not be as effective. Better to do it rfresh or cook cake and declare later.

Fevertree Wed 23-Mar-16 21:08:13

I don't think this would work as the baking powder would react with the wet ingredients and then not be useful by the time you need it. I'd cream the butter and sugar, you can leave this at room temp, weigh out the flour and baking powder, but not mix them until you need them

Fevertree Wed 23-Mar-16 21:08:52

Ah when I started typing no one had answered!

sarahandemily Wed 23-Mar-16 21:20:21

Ok thanks - will give that a try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now