Talk

Advanced search

What happened to my shortbread?

(1 Post)
ouryve Sun 24-Jan-16 21:59:29

I'm a seasoned baker - I've been baking for the best part of 4 decades and have few disasters. The few I've had come from following a new recipe and not trusting my instincts when something seems a bit off, or from using ingredients which turned out not to be up to the job.

Anyhow, I attempted to show DS1 how easy shortbread was to make, this afternoon. He's sample a bit of shop bought stuff lately, some much nicer than others (we got given a hamper with some made with marge - ugh! He noticed the difference when we bought a tin of good quality buttery stuff from Sainsburys at Christmas)

I used a simple 3-2-1 recipe. The same as I was taught to make by my parents (dad used to cook for a living) and have made many times. Rubbed in method. Only it completely refused to bind. I just had a bowlful of crumbs. Ended up binding them with egg yolk just to rescue something and then pressing into a tin like a cheesecake base. Now have palatable biscuits, but shortbread they're not.

Al I can think of is that my kitchen has been a little on the cold side, today and for the past few days. Have had to put butter through the microwave to get it to a spreadable consistency. Stands to reason that my flour and sugar probably set the softened butter, again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now