I've taken on a cake challenge...

(6 Posts)
msrisotto Sat 23-Jan-16 17:34:13

I've agreed to make a twin wine bottles in a box cake shock. I'm an enthusiastic baker, but not necessarily proficient! Never mind, how hard can it be....

Anyway, I am going to make 2 moulds of wine bottles from fondant icing and place them on top of the cakes. One cake will be chocolate, the other sponge with lemon filling probably. Seeing as I will have empty shells, i thought I might as well fill them.... What with though? The 'surprise in the middle' cakes i've seen online use smarties which is ok although not exactly classy....but what else is there? I'm wondering whether strawberries might be nice atop the chocolate cake? Or mini marshmallows, although again, not exactly haute couture. But fun...

Perfectlypurple Sat 23-Jan-16 17:38:12

You could make the cake in a bottle shape

www.amazon.co.uk/Wilton-Bottle-Cake-Tin-Silver/dp/B00UY0ZJ0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453570600&sr=8-1&keywords=bottle+cake+tin

imsorryiasked Sat 23-Jan-16 17:53:45

Depending on how much space - chocolate and limoncello truffles?

msrisotto Sat 23-Jan-16 18:03:22

I bought the wilton cake bottle tin but wasn't happy with the look of the cake in the end. Too angular.

The mould is literally, a wine bottle so loads of room. Truffles is a good one. Thanks.

kickassangel Sat 23-Jan-16 18:03:59

The fondant will 'settle' ans show that it isn't resting on something solid unless it has a solid layer underneath it.

Why not make 2 cakes in the shape of wine bottles, but only the half that would show in a crate, then have a 'surprise' filling, then a layer of cake underneath that fills the crate so that the whole thing, once assembled, is the right height.

Is this for a competition, or just fun?

Around the neck area of the bottles you could use fondant to make 'packing straw'.

msrisotto Sat 23-Jan-16 18:07:25

I have bought something to harden the fondant, I hope to god that'll prevent any settling.

It's for an adults birthday party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now