Talk

Advanced search

Potential multiple birthday cake dilemna, any suggestions please?

(8 Posts)
outofpaper Mon 09-Nov-15 14:37:47

Hello, my ds will be two in a couple of weeks and we are having two small get together celebrations with different members of the family, instead of one big 'do'.
He will also have a birthday celebration at his nursery where we will be providing a cake.
Which means I am going to have to provide 3 cakes!
I am happy to cut corners/buy them from Sainsbury's/whatever (maybe bake the nursery one if I get time) but I would also like to make them a bit special IYKWIM?
Sorry I know this is a bit vague I am not sure even what I am asking specifically, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

TheWildRumpyPumpus Mon 09-Nov-15 14:47:49

Our nursery would only serve cakes from shops with ingredient lists, or they made them themselves during the day for the children, so I would check that.

M&S do great personalised cakes, as do Waitrose - takes a week.

Off the shelf is fine though, your DC won't mind age 2 and it'll taste fine if you are busy juggling work, nursery runs, home etc. Unless there's a willing grandparent/dad/auntie who'd love to help out?!?

PurpleDaisies Mon 09-Nov-15 14:51:34

But two ready made cakes of your choice and designate the third as his proper cake-He doesn't need three birthday cakes. You'll save yourself a lot of stress!

What's your decorating skill like? What sorts of things does he like? There are loads of great videos on YouTube for how to make really effective cakes quite easily.

Nicknamegrief Mon 09-Nov-15 14:56:00

Cupcakes and freeze some.
For mine I did biscuits in their number and send those into school and freeze the remainder to just bake later.
Could a family member bring a birthday cake along to one gathering?

outofpaper Mon 09-Nov-15 15:41:08

Thanks for your advice all, that's really helpful!

Seeline Mon 09-Nov-15 15:47:56

At that age they are only interested if there are sweets on top - they'll eat those, lick the icing off and leave the cake in a soggy heap wink

outofpaper Mon 09-Nov-15 16:05:33

Hmmm, yes good point, I'm thinking a couple of those sweetie covered buttercream traybakes and adding a few personalised decorations on top - bobs your uncle!

Seeline Tue 10-Nov-15 08:01:04

I think that's the way to go Outofpaper grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: