Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question re fondant models

(6 Posts)
WutheringTights Sun 08-Nov-15 08:48:08

Yesterday I made my daughter's birthday cake and it was the first time I had tried to model figures out of fondant. Trouble is, they kept "melting" a bit like snowmen so kept going wonky. I had to keep the cake in the fridge overnight but as soon as I brought it out again they started to melt again. It was ok on the day as I only brought it out shortly before cake cutting and then it didn't matter but I'd like to get it right for next time. Should I have used a different icing for the modelling (I just used the standard shop bought ready roll fondant)?

Many thanks

LagunaBubbles Sun 08-Nov-15 08:57:13

You need to make fondant models in advance to give them a chance to harden, adding tylo powder speeds up the process. I usually make mine a few weeks before I need them. The reason they melted is because you put them in the fridge. Fondant sweats in the fridge. A fondant covered cake doesn't need to be kept in the fridge and never put fondant models in there. I keep mine in a cardboard box with lid, don't keep them in an airtight plastic box either or they will sweat to.

PurpleDaisies Sun 08-Nov-15 09:04:57

You would be better using gum paste or flower modelling paste for models. It doesn't taste very good but it is safe to put on top of the cake and sets really hard. I try and make decorations like that in advance as laguna says.

What colouring did you use? Standard watery liquid colours make the icing really sticky so it doesn't set properly so it's better to use paste colours. You hardly need any so they last for ages and ages.

WutheringTights Sun 08-Nov-15 09:11:36

Thank you so much. I put them in the fridge because they were melting before I did that so I thought maybe the room was too warm and/ or I had just worked the fondant too much. Will know better for next time.

I used ready roll coloured fondant and just kneaded the colour with the white to get the correct shade. Off to google tylo and gum paste.

Thanks again.

Umbrelladilemma Wed 11-Nov-15 20:29:28

I made my first fondant figure fir a cake recently and the instructions said to make it big by not - e.g. let the bottom bit dry first etc so it can support the rest. So I made it over s few days.

Also, sorry to hijack thread but what is the best fondant to use! The model I made started cracking a bit as it dried, not sure why...

PurpleDaisies Wed 11-Nov-15 20:32:40

I'd normally use gum paste (flower modelling paste) for a figure, with paste colours to get it the right shade. It dries quite quickly and really hard so you have to keep it really well wrapped while you're not using it.

Did your figure turn out ok in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now