Talk

Advanced search

Help please! I have wet fondant!

(15 Posts)
stopthenoise Fri 06-Nov-15 00:24:51

I'm a hobby baker and most of what I do is trial and error. I've made doesn't covered cakes lots of times before but today has gone wrong. I crumbcoated my cake this morning and put it in the fridge. As I've been at work it's been in the fridge pretty much all day. I took it out tonight and covered it with fondant. It's now wet and sticky. I'm assuming this is because my cake was too cold when I covered it? I don't normally leave it that long but I was working today. Can I fix it?? Or will it eventually dry out?

stopthenoise Fri 06-Nov-15 00:26:05

Fondant covered, not doesn't covered!

PurpleDaisies Fri 06-Nov-15 00:27:43

Did you put it in an airtight container or back in the fridge? Those things can make both fondant sweat.

How wet is is? Could you blot it a bit with kitchen paper without ruining your cake?

PurpleDaisies Fri 06-Nov-15 00:28:26

^both make fondant sweat. Too much fun.

PurpleDaisies Fri 06-Nov-15 00:29:06

Gin not fun (although it was!)

stopthenoise Fri 06-Nov-15 00:30:37

The fondant hasn't been in the fridge, just the cake before I covered it. It's been on the work top since. I haven't tried kitchen roll as I think it might leave marks, I touched it and it left a finger print :-(

KP86 Fri 06-Nov-15 00:32:15

Depending on how long until you are serving and the colour of the fondant, it should dry over time. You could also dust with a small amount of icing sugar if the fondant is white. Just wait until it dries a bit more or you might end up with clumps.

PurpleDaisies Fri 06-Nov-15 00:32:23

That's really odd. I'd leave it out uncovered to dry overnight and hopefully in the morning it'll look better.

PurpleDaisies Fri 06-Nov-15 00:33:06

You could also try dusting with icing sugar as long as it's s suitable colour.

PurpleDaisies Fri 06-Nov-15 00:34:22

Cross posted with you there kp. Great minds and all that.

Mayo12 Fri 06-Nov-15 00:38:44

Just leave it alone overnight on the counter and it'll be dry in the morning. It should be fine.

stopthenoise Fri 06-Nov-15 00:39:56

The cake is for Saturday morning so it still has time to dry out. I'm hoping it does. I've left it uncovered in a cool room. It's coloured fondant so was going to try the icing sugar thing as a last resort. Thank you for your advice :-)

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 06-Nov-15 01:06:46

Is make a small hole in the top somewhere that can be covered to let any condensation out, otherwise you might get a big air bubble. The condensation will evaporate but if it's just a white finish you could try dusting with cornflour on a fluffy brush to take the shine off.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 06-Nov-15 01:06:57

I'd not is

LagunaBubbles Sat 21-Nov-15 08:59:49

Just saw this, how did you get on? Yes it's sweated because cake had still been too cold, when this has happened to me it's always dried out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now