Talk

Advanced search

Victoria Sponge Cake for diabetic

(6 Posts)
dolallymum Sat 15-Aug-15 08:44:48

My Gran is diabetic and it's coming up her birthday. I would really like to make her a cake, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a Victoria Sponge Cake recipe that would be suitable.
TIA.

ShelaghTurner Sat 15-Aug-15 08:51:28

Lurking with interest. My dad is diabetic and he'd love me to bake cakes.

cdtaylornats Mon 24-Aug-15 15:28:41

What's wrong with just a normal Victoria Sponge. It just needs to be eaten in moderation as part of the days carbs.

If you are worried about cakes being unhealthy because of the fat content, try googling "using avocado instead of Butter".

FauxFox Mon 24-Aug-15 15:35:31

Whatever you do do not bake with splenda/sugar substitute - absolutely disgusting! I tried for my diabetic SIL and it went straight in the bin! I made her a cake from watermelon, melon etc like this one - was much nicer smile

GerrardWinstanley Mon 24-Aug-15 15:43:51

If your Gran has type 2 and is managing her diabetes partly through reducing carbohydrate intake then you could replace the sugar with Splenda. Using fresh cream and strawberries to fill it will be lower carb than buttercream and jam too. Nothing you can do about the flour though. On the other hand anyone using intensive insulin treatment would probably rather you provided the standard cake or it makes the carb counting even trickier.

There is NEVER a simple answer with diabetes. grin. Probably best to ask your Gran what is best for her.

michtaylor Sun 25-Oct-15 12:53:30

I bake a lot as my mil with dementia and diabetes will now only eat sweet things. At 91 years old, we do not try to force her to eat food that she no longer enjoys. I use xylitol. I had to experiment a bit at first and found that you need a bit more fluid than with sugar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now