Talk

Advanced search

No or minimal baking "bakes" for a coffee morning.

(28 Posts)
abigboydidit Wed 12-Aug-15 16:37:49

I have been roped into baking for a fundraiser but my cooker is a very old aga which is fine for one cake but the temperature is hugely unreliable (can be so hot cakes end up burnt but raw) and drops considerably if the door is being opened and closed (eg to put in cake after cake). Any suggestions for tray bakes or minimal bake cakes would be much appreciated. Oh - and things that freeze well too, so I can bake in advance. Thanks!

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 12-Aug-15 16:41:10

Betty crocker cake mix! Buy a couple in case one gets burnt. I discovered these recently when dds wanted to bake but we'd just moved house and I couldn't face it. They're great.

abigboydidit Wed 12-Aug-15 18:27:08

Do they not take long to cook? It's not the prep I mind - just the actual oven time. Had been thinking about tray bake type things but not something I really make. Thanks for the suggestion.

G1veMeStrength Wed 12-Aug-15 18:28:08

Rice Crispy cakes of course. Mmmm

bberry Wed 12-Aug-15 18:29:18

Google no bake cheesecakes/cakes

Fridge cakes

Loads you an do quite easily and they are yummy!!!

abigboydidit Wed 12-Aug-15 18:41:42

I was just worried a cheesecake wasn't "cakey" enough for a coffee morning?

abigboydidit Wed 12-Aug-15 18:42:02

Fridge cakes?! Never heard of that. Sounds good!

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 12-Aug-15 18:51:12

Rocky road crunch bar Yummy.

abigboydidit Wed 12-Aug-15 19:16:32

Oh those are definitely going on the list!

chandelierswinger Wed 12-Aug-15 19:20:03

Defo a fridge cake! Bash up some biscuits (any type, but digestives are good), chop up some marshmallows, sprinkle some raisins (or whatever else you fancy) and then mix. Pour over melted choc and put in fridge to set. Nom nom.

iklboo Wed 12-Aug-15 19:21:27

Flapjacks are so easy & minimum fuss. DS & I made a batch of toffee & strawberry ones last week.

I adapted this recipe www.quaker.co.uk/recipes/snacks_and_treats/grandmas_coconut_flapjack

We only had 1oz coconut in & I added a handful of chopped fresh strawberries. They were delicious. And didn't last long.

fuckweasel Wed 12-Aug-15 20:00:01

Nigella's malteaser tray bake takes about five minutes to make and is yummy.

abigboydidit Wed 12-Aug-15 21:26:09

These suggestions are great - please keep them coming. Can't believe I forgot about flapjacks!

addictedtosugar Thu 13-Aug-15 11:16:39

Meringues aren't too temperature sensitive if one of your ovens is cool enough? With whipped cream and sliced strawberries

Allalonenow Thu 13-Aug-15 11:24:07

Drop scones made in a heavy frying pan, serve with a blob of cream and some jam or maple syrup, very economical too.

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 13-Aug-15 11:24:32

YY. Meringues freeze very well too. Chocolate honey meringues. Yum yum yum. grin

Allalonenow Thu 13-Aug-15 11:28:10

Oh my goodness!! Chocolate. Honey. Meringues.

DXBMermaid Thu 13-Aug-15 11:37:31

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-pistachio-fudge-96

This is a great recipe and always a success. You only need a little piece as it's very rich. Only downside is that it's not cheap as you really need to use good quality chocolate.

http://www.food.com/recipe/oreo-truffles-87967 these are even easier to make and a lot cheaper too.

http://barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=446&S=0
I made this and it looked very impressive, it tasted great too but you do need to keep it chilled.

Can you tell I'm not a very good baker smile

DXBMermaid Thu 13-Aug-15 11:40:17

Obviously I am also not a very good MNetter...

Links:

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-pistachio-fudge-96

www.food.com/recipe/oreo-truffles-87967

barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=446&S=0

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 13-Aug-15 11:46:16

Allalonenow smile smile It does seem too good to be true, doesn't it? They are quite easy to make and are really really really nice.

Allalonenow Thu 13-Aug-15 15:02:16

smile I'll be making those soon Upto, I've even got the flaked almonds in stock already! cake

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 13-Aug-15 15:22:24

cake cake

smile smile

FawnDrench Thu 13-Aug-15 17:09:18

Some lovely fridge cake recipes here

PandaMummyofOne Thu 13-Aug-15 19:15:09

Rocky road 'cake' when DS wants to bake and I can't be arsed don't have the right ingredients, we make this.

Just crush some biscuits up (digestives work best), put them in a bowl with mini marshmallows, raisins (sp?), glacé cherries, anything really and then pour over melted chocolate. Let it set. Takes 10 minutes max and about 30 minutes to set.

Never lasts in this house.

abigboydidit Thu 13-Aug-15 19:48:46

Oh! Lots to pick from. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now