Talk

Advanced search

Stand mixers

(15 Posts)
quesadillas Sat 01-Aug-15 16:12:19

Hi,

We're in the process of changing our kitchen and, having never had room before, I'll finally have the space for a stand mixer. I'd love to get more into baking so looking for recommendations. I'm a pretty decent baker, not GBBO standard, but reasonably good. I'd like to spend the money now and have the best one possible, and have it last. All singing and dancing with lots of gadgets and functions sounds good, but not if they're pointless. I would like a dough hook thing. Looking a bit snazzy would be a bonus, but the quality is more important.

Any recommendations? Any budget, I'd like it to be a long-term investment and I know some mixers can be pricey.

Thanks!

tametortie Sun 09-Aug-15 23:12:44

Wow! Was just about to post this so marking place. I'd really like a stand mixer for making cakes but on a budget.

Newdad19 Mon 10-Aug-15 01:20:11

Kitchenaid for sure, looks the part and is great quality too.

ShelaghTurner Mon 10-Aug-15 01:36:41

Definitely Kitchenaid. I have the chopping and grating attachments too and it's great. Use it all the time.

FuzzyWizard Mon 10-Aug-15 01:58:55

I have a kitchenaid. I love it. Might not be used for a month but then I might use it twice a day for a week straight. Good for breads, cakes, desserts etc. I also have the pasta roller which is very good but pricy (was a Christmas gift). The mixer can also be used to make mash, shred chicken, make sausagemeat or meatballs (on a low speed it's really good at distributing herbs etc through the mix).

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 10-Aug-15 09:55:13

We have had a Kenwood Chef for years (20 at least) and it has been marvellous......until it blew up on Saturday! A loud "pop" followed by smoke! They are using Kenwood's on the GBBO this year and although many people have complained about the absence of Kitchenaids, at least one professional baker has written in (this is according to Saturday's paper) to say that the Kenwood is a better machine, and certainly better value at around £100 less.

ShelaghTurner Mon 10-Aug-15 10:35:42

That puzzled me a bit, going off on a slight tangent. Anyone who has watched Bake Off knows they've used Kmixes before plenty of times. And much as I love my Kitchenmaid, it's largely a style choice even thought it is fab. If they disappeared from the planet I'd be off to the shops to buy a Kmix. SIL has one and loves it.

ShelaghTurner Mon 10-Aug-15 10:36:14

*Kitchenaid. I can only dream of a kitchenmaid!

FelixFelix Mon 10-Aug-15 10:38:24

I have a Kenwood 'Patissier' mixer which DP bought me. I've always lusted after a KitchenAid but will never be able to afford one. I think he got a good deal on Amazon.

I love the one I have! It's very solid and works like a dream. It is a really nice design too so looks great left out on my kitchen side. I got the shiny red one grin

quesadillas Mon 10-Aug-15 10:53:14

Any ideas what the difference is between the £3-400 Kitchenaids and the £800 ones? I want this to be an investment buy, but I'm never going to be the world's most competent baker so really don't know if spending £800 is worth it. My hunch is probably not.

sliceofsoup Mon 10-Aug-15 10:53:17

Felix how does the Patissier get on with bread dough?

FuzzyWizard Mon 10-Aug-15 11:19:07

The £800 ones are massive... If you mean the ones with the lever raised bowl? The have a bigger, heavier motor (which is why the top doesn't tilt up). I have one that usually has an RRP of about £420 (I managed to get it for £275 but have never seen a deal that good before or since). It's great.

FelixFelix Mon 10-Aug-15 11:25:45

sliceofsoup I've only used it a couple of times for dough but it's been great. I've had no problems at all. The motor is slightly more powerful than the cheaper kitchenaid model (400w vs 300w) so I'd assume that it copes just as well as the KA.

ShelaghTurner Mon 10-Aug-15 11:27:45

Yes the £800 bowl lift ones are really only if you intend to make shitloads of huge loaves of bread or massive fruit cakes! I can't see your average home baker needing one and they aren't quite as pretty

quesadillas Mon 10-Aug-15 16:29:21

Right, £800 one scratched off the list. I'm never going to be a heavy duty baker. I'd just like to be a decent home baker - cakes, a bit of pastry, maybe the odd loaf, nothing too extensive or ambitious. And I hate Christmas cake, so there won't be many heavy fruit cakes happening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now