Talk

Advanced search

Hemisphere cake tin (teapot cake) - any tips welcome!

(6 Posts)
Dollydewdrop21 Fri 31-Jul-15 14:40:13

I have been volunteered to make a teapot cake for a friends 40th. I am not a novice but not overly experienced either! I have heard it's difficult to get the bake right in these tins. Any tips would be appreciated. How much should I fill the tin and do you think I can get away with using a madiera cake packet mix?

stealthsquiggle Fri 31-Jul-15 14:44:21

Fill the time about 2/3 (you will have a peak to cut off, but that's fine) and bake it longer and at a lower temp than you would expect for the size of the mix IYSWIM. I don't know about cake mix - never used one TBH, but Madeira cake is the right sort of texture.

redcaryellowcar Fri 31-Jul-15 14:44:58

I'm certainly not a baking expert but I found that out local cook ware shop is a font of knowledge about volume of cake mix etc and that nigellas buttermilk birthday cake is very good at being sturdy enough to be modelled into all sorts of shapes, the recipe is in her domestic goddess book.

stealthsquiggle Fri 31-Jul-15 14:45:08

time tins

redcaryellowcar Fri 31-Jul-15 14:48:29

...also just remembered the lady in our local tea shop who bakes delicious cakes always says no hotter than 160 deg.

Dollydewdrop21 Fri 31-Jul-15 15:33:23

Thank you for the tips. Will do a trial run tomorrow. More nervous about the baking than the decorating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now