Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a dessert cake that doesn't need refrigeration

(6 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 30-Jul-15 08:27:40

I'm going camping this weekend & need to take a large dessert (to feed at least 12) that can be made today & survive from Friday am in either no fridge at all or a basic cool box until Saturday pm.
I was thinking some sort of cake but have only ever made Victoria sponge smile

Goldmandra Thu 30-Jul-15 08:36:35

Make a mug of strong coffee, let it cool, add a slosh of brandy and dip chocolate chip cookies into it then pile them up in a bowl. Each cookie needs to be in the coffee for about 2 seconds.
Cover and leave overnight.
Tastes amazing and I've never felt the need to refrigerate it as it's just cookies coffee and brandy.
It does have to be made the night before though to give it time to soak properly.
It has the be the easiest and most popular dessert I've ever made. I'm always getting requests to bring it to parties and family gatherings.

Sgtmajormummy Thu 30-Jul-15 08:51:14

Make two chocolate biscuit "salami" (crushed rich tea biscuits in thick melted butter/sugar/cocoa/sometimes egg/occasionally brandy sauce, rolled in clingfilm, dusted with icing sugar and sliced to look like salame).
Make a simple one for the kids and add nuts or glace fruit for the adults.
If you put them in the freezer until you leave, and then the coolbox, they'll survive. If you can control yourself until then!

FawnDrench Thu 30-Jul-15 19:19:47

Nigella does a marmalade cake that looks as though it is easily transported. It's got rave reviews on her website. here

What about something like a Bakewell tart?

Or chocolate cake - perhaps this one

If you have time you could do more than one, so that people have a choice.

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 31-Jul-15 08:50:18

Lemon Polenta Cake.

Bonsoir Fri 31-Jul-15 08:52:12

Any kind of dense flourless chocolate cake will survive very well indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now