Talk

Advanced search

Minecraft TNT cake!! HELP!

(13 Posts)
MummyIsMagic79 Fri 29-May-15 19:44:58

DS is 9 on Sunday. I have promised an awesome surprise cake. Decided on a Minecraft TNT block.
I've bought the cake tins, 20cm square. Figure I'll need 3 cakes to make a cube. I have LOADS od red, white and black Renshaw icing, from Hobbycraft (man, that place is expensive!!) I have advice to freeze the cakes tonight, then sandwich them/ice them all over with buttercream, is this a crumb coat? I have the tools and the time tomorrow evening....
But I'm soooo stressed about it! How do you do neat corners with fondant on a square cake?! I havent got a 'smoother' for the top of the icing. Aaaargh!!!

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCMb--pDN58UCFcgL2wodhjMAPg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgarcade.com%2F1%2Fminecraft-tnt-block-cake%2F&ei=yrJoVcbxD8iX7AaG54DwAw&bvm=bv.94455598,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNEAbNSB88duDIkK4xRyVfvjEW5adw&ust=1433011266578471

Perfectlypurple Fri 29-May-15 19:49:03

Don't try to ice it straight from the freezer. It will sweat. To get sharp corners, cut the squares in advance so they set a bit. They will be easier to keep as a sharp corner.

MummyIsMagic79 Fri 29-May-15 20:19:03

Thank you. Squares?? I was going to drape the icing over.....

Perfectlypurple Fri 29-May-15 22:06:09

I did a mine craft cake. I made all the squares individually. It took hours.

Perfectlypurple Fri 29-May-15 22:06:36

Hope you can see the pic.

Perfectlypurple Fri 29-May-15 22:35:15

Oh and I know you are doing tnt but isn't that also lots of squares? I don't know much about mine craft really. I am doing a cake that needs a good square edge next week. I plan to cut the icing to the shape and size I want and let it dry first before I put it on the cake.

LakeFlyPie Mon 15-Jun-15 20:15:24

Roll icing onto a piece of cling film so you can pick it up and drape it over more easily.
DS1 had a Minecraft party recently and I copped out and did a 'Minecraft' cake ie as they appear in the game, white icing with a few random red squares.

LakeFlyPie Mon 15-Jun-15 20:16:46

Meant to say good luck (and Pinterest if you haven't spent hours on there already!)

Allgunsblazing Mon 15-Jun-15 20:19:42

Perfectly, that is love for your child and a good dose of madness! Good god, all those squares!!!!! Fabulous result though!!!
Mine is sensible, wants a creeper. So far!

AmateurCakeyMaker Mon 15-Jun-15 20:29:13

I made a minecraft cake and just cut the fondant to fit each side to make it nice and sharp on the edges.

I did have to be careful that the ganache underneath didn't squidge out between the edges - I imagine buttercream would have been even worse actually, being softer, so perhaps something to consider if you go down that route is to make sure you put it in the fridge overnight before applying fondant.

I then made a small hole in the top to let any condensation escape while it came up to temperature before adding the details, which covered the hole.

WeeMadArthur Mon 15-Jun-15 20:29:23

You can use buttercream or ganache for the crumb coat, I find ganache less sickly, although it can be messier if it isn't cool enough. If you are worried about covering it I would be tempted to roll out one big red piece to cover the top and top half of the sides then a long narrow piece to go right round the bottom and cover the join with the white band of icing in the middle. Alternatively you could do a minecraft earth block with fondant figures dotted around (Steve takes a lot longer than the TnT and the creeper!). You can smooth out the icing with the palm on your hand (dusted lightly with cornflour) as long as you don't press to hard.

AmateurCakeyMaker Mon 15-Jun-15 20:29:53

Finished cake.

WeeMadArthur Mon 15-Jun-15 20:32:57

And to agree with AmaterCakeyMaker, if you use buttercream and then refrigerate you can get some lovely sharp corners on the cake before the fondant goes on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now