Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made sugar glass/ice?

(2 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Fri 06-Feb-15 08:39:38

I had a go using This Recipe (scroll down) - although with half quantities and admittedly a little guesswork on timings as I don't have a sugar thermometer. It looked great at first, but then has ended up much too soft and sticky/gungy instead of going hard.

Any idea what I did wrong (too much/little of something/wrong temperature or what)?

I found some other recipes but they all use corn syrup, which I don't have and not sure whether I can easily get in UK.

Thank you!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Sat 07-Feb-15 22:07:41

Right I have solved my own problem by trying a different method thanks to some good advice from lady in cake-decorating shop, so will update in case it helps anyone else grin

Put lots of Fox's Glacier mints on a foil-lined baking tray (actually I used a smaller brownie tin) in the oven and keep an eye. When they go melty, you can stir in a VERY small amount of blue food-colour if you want, to get a nice aqua ice-effect (or pick any colour you want, obviously) and let it melt a bit more.

When it was nice and runny I took it out carefully and used a spoon to dribble some of it onto another foil-covered baking tray to make some interesting squiggly shapes (usual cautions about mega-hot molten sugar etc etc). Then left the rest in the brownie tin till it was fully cool. Later on, I lifted it out carefully on the foil, held it over a plate and whacked it a few times (good fun!) to get some nice shardy bits. Worked perfectly and less faff than the other version! Must remember to thank cake-shop lady if/when I go there again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: