Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a small but stunning celebration cake?

(22 Posts)
meerschweinchen Thu 01-Jan-15 21:51:22

I want to make a really impressive cake for a significant birthday. There's no point making one with multiple tiers /cakes as it won't be eaten by that many people. I decorate quite a few children's cakes, but I'm stuck when it comes to ones for adults!

Does anyone have any ideas on what would look really special? I'm not sure where to start. I'm happy to make sugar roses etc or other fiddly, time consuming things. I just don't have a clear idea in my head of what to do this time.

Any suggestions appreciated!

MyCatHasStaff Thu 01-Jan-15 22:00:23

www.cakecentral.com/g/i/2336279/a/2337279/just-your-standard-buttercream-rose-cake-made-for-a-little-girls-first-birthday-whos-mom-wanted-something-vintagey-to-go-with-her-pink-lemonade-theme-a-jumbo-cupcake-also-decorated-entirely-with-roses-was-used-for-the-birthday-girls-smash/ I've made this a few times, it's very quick and easy

Notname Fri 02-Jan-15 06:34:38

Pinterest I'd good for inspiration. Not sure either you're making for a man or woman, their age or interests, but if you search or browse on there you should find something.

Notname Fri 02-Jan-15 06:35:00

Scuse typos smile

Turquoiseblue Fri 02-Jan-15 08:53:51

I make a version of choc biscuit but add in shortbread, and hob nobs, (with rich tea and digestive ) the 'chocolate' is made from dark choc, condensed milk, butter, golden syrup and a generous dash of baileys and brandy added in to make it more adult. It s quite lovely served with home made vanilla ice cream.

meerschweinchen Fri 02-Jan-15 09:57:47

That sounds lovely Turquoise but I want to make an actual cake. I'll have to try that recipe sometime though, sounds amazing!

I want to make a sponge cake of some sort - haven't quite decided what flavour yet. It's more the decoration I'm struggling with.

To answer Not name it's a 100th birthday cake for my Grandma. So I want it to look special, but as she doesn't have many surviving friends, it will mainly be just a few family members, so I don't want to make it too big. I've made number cakes before, and whilst making one in the shape of 100 would be nice, 3 cakes would just be way too much cake!

meerschweinchen Fri 02-Jan-15 10:00:37

Oh, and meant to say I love the roses that MyCat suggests.That's the sort of thing I'm looking for - how to decorate a standard size cake. So maybe I could do something like that, only I'd like to incorporate a happy birthday message too. Not sure I could pipe over the top of piping?!

CMOTDibbler Fri 02-Jan-15 10:04:57

On a couple of occasions, I've made cakes which are then decorated with an arrangement, usually a crescent, of good quality silk flowers in colours and flowers special to that person. They can then be kept afterwards as a room decoration for more of a lasting memory.

stealthsquiggle Fri 02-Jan-15 10:09:33

I did one for MIL which was completely covered in roses - made from moulding chocolate - and the sides were basket weave (I bought a mould for that bit!) - went down well. I would link to a photo but not sure my phone is up to that!

MrsKipling16 Fri 02-Jan-15 10:13:04

Firstly, congratulations on your Grandma's birthday!

If you like MyCat's cake idea! how about using Tappits to put your message on the board in icing? Like this picture for example.

stealthsquiggle Fri 02-Jan-15 10:15:10

Or maybe it is..

MyFirstName Fri 02-Jan-15 10:23:30

I follow this lady on Facebook - she does some truly amazing creations. Something may inspire you?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sophisticake/113050388735862?sk=photos_stream

MyFirstName Fri 02-Jan-15 10:25:22

www.sophisticake.co.uk/ in case you don't want to do FaceAche. Though there are way more photos on FaceAche.

MrsKipling16 Fri 02-Jan-15 10:31:32

Or, as an alternative to decorating the cake board - how about something like one of these? For the "star" topper, there are a few suppliers on eBay and you can select the colours and shapes to match your cake design. Good luck!

ToomanyChristmasPresents Fri 02-Jan-15 10:36:31

Id search on Pinterest. It's chicken with cake ideas.

ToomanyChristmasPresents Fri 02-Jan-15 10:37:10

Chicken= chocker

CatsClaus Fri 02-Jan-15 10:56:23

I always fancied making this chocolate cake from Cressida whosits article....looks really fabulous

Chocolate flower cake

stealthsquiggle Fri 02-Jan-15 11:16:15

Or you could make your own topper - I have done one of those star ones for a birthday cheesecake once - or if you wanted to do it in chocolate you could do something like this (ignore the toothpicks - they were to secure it for transport!)

meerschweinchen Fri 02-Jan-15 21:30:37

CatsClaus I have actually made that cake before! A bit fiddly, but not too difficult and certainly effective.

stealth just wow! Your cakes are amazing! I love both ideas actually, but especially the basket weave one.

stealthsquiggle Fri 02-Jan-15 23:37:41

It's one of these that I used for the basket.

tethersend Fri 02-Jan-15 23:43:02

I've a friend who made a stunning cake using a lace pattern- sort of like these

MyCatHasStaff Sat 03-Jan-15 00:17:44

Sorry only just come back to the thread. I do the writing on the board thing that MrsKipling suggests, I use an oversized board and put the cake slightly offset to the back. I use a Wilton No.1 nozzle for the roses (tutorial on YouTube), and the buttercream is the Hummingbird recipe which is slightly stiffer than the usual half and half.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now