Talk

Advanced search

Recipe is for an 8 inch square cake. How can I make this fit a round tin?

(6 Posts)
sassytheFIRST Mon 22-Dec-14 09:00:56

Please, oh wise ones?

It's a fruit cake, not a sponge if that makes any difference.

BreeVDKamp Mon 22-Dec-14 09:12:49

Volume of an 8" square tin is greater than the volume of an 8" orund tin, which I'm sure you know and that's why you're asking. I can never be arsed to do the maths so I'd just make the same recipe and put any leftover mix into a smaller tin. Or make mini fruit cake cupcakes!!

I do like a deep fruit cake though so maybe I would fit it all into the round tin. Depends how much is left over!

amy83firsttimer Mon 22-Dec-14 09:20:11

Maths.
Google how to work out the volume of the round one (sorry A-level maths teacher, it's early) and the square one is just a X b X c where a,b&c are the dimensions of the tin. Then work out the ratio between the two and scale the recipe up or down as required. Easy with dry ingredients, less so with eggs which are discrete rather than continuous. Good luck.

FishWithABicycle Mon 22-Dec-14 09:20:30

Is the diameter of your round tin also 8 inches?

An 8 inch square tin filled with cake to 1.5 inches high will have volume 96 cubic inches.

An 8 inch round tin has area around 50 square inches so the same amount of cake mix would make a cake that is about 2 inches high, or if you don't want extra height reduce the amount of mixture by 25%.

MehsMum Mon 22-Dec-14 09:36:23

According to my book (The Good Housekeeping Complete Book of Home Baking, 1989), an 8" square tin takes the same volume of cake mix as a 9" round tin.

The liquid capacity of a cake cooked in an 8" square tin (and a 9" round tin) is 2 and a half pints.
The liquid capacity of a cake cooked in a 8" round tin is 1 and three quarter pints.

Hope that helps. Said book has only once let me down (with a stupid fiddly chocolate cake recipe) in all the years I have owned it.

sassytheFIRST Mon 22-Dec-14 09:38:44

Thanks all I have a 9" round cake tin so that seems to be the easiest way forward. Cheers all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now