Talk

Advanced search

I want to make impressive Xmas fairy cakes. Help!

(13 Posts)
hectoronthehill Mon 08-Dec-14 17:10:18

I've been tasked with making fairy cakes for a Christmas party. Anyone seen anything spectacular I could make?! The only thing I can think of is making chocolate one with glace cherries and summat for eyes to make Rudolph ones.

I could just makes shapes out of icing, but I'm looking for inspiration!

Would also consider making a big cake instead as long as it isn't mega complex.

gingerbreadmam Mon 08-Dec-14 17:44:47

rudolph cake pops? i made thesw a couple of years ago and they looked fab. best thing is, they dont even need baking.

buy a madeira cake from supermarket and a pot of betty crocker icing. mix together until can form balls. roll into balls, coat lolly stick in chocolate and insert into balls. put in freezer to set. once set cover in chocolate. add eyes and nose and use broken up pretzels for antlers. google rudolph cake pops for images, dont know how to attach blush

gingerbreadmam Mon 08-Dec-14 17:45:52

completed product looks like this...

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/654997

hectoronthehill Mon 08-Dec-14 17:51:55

Ooh, they look cute. Thanks.

fieldfare Mon 08-Dec-14 17:51:57

Ooh I saw some marvellous ones the other day. Chocolate fairy cakes, layer of green frosting on top. Then the cool bit - a pointy ice cream cone, pointy end up, iced in spiky little green icing with those silver balls as baubles, they looked like mini Xmas trees!!!

TheWhispersOfTheGods Mon 08-Dec-14 17:59:19

I like a blue buttercream swirl with a snowflake of fondant on it, sprayed with silver

Spreading red and green buttercream on with a hot knife and piping bauble type decoration and dragees on is very effective, especially if you do say 1/4 red and the rest green (maybe 50 cakes, or 48 for ease of recipes, most recipes make 12) and arrange them in an Xmas tree shape, mainly in green with red dotted around, and one gold one up top.

If you have a large star nozzle, you can make a 3D Xmas tree, but that takes a lot of icing!

Asda do lovely xmas themed cupcake cases which bake very well.

ChristmasJumperWearer Mon 08-Dec-14 18:00:07

Make some chocolate ones that look like Christmas puddings? Drizzle on white icing and pop a holly decoration on top - Costa has some chocolate cornflake cakes like this.

Costa also have some mini chocolate cakes with a swoosh of white icing to look like a Christmas tree and a gold star at the top.

(You'd have to go to Costa for inspiration!)

Or make green butter icing, pipe it on up to a point, and decorate like a Christmas tree with a star and baubles (coloured ball decorations).

Allalonenow Mon 08-Dec-14 18:44:23

Lakeland have got some fab Christmas fairycake cases, I especially like the gold foil ones, they would be lovely with the buttercream sprinkled with gold stars. They also have the snowflake wafers mentioned above.

Checkout the Lakeland and the Sainsburys websites for some good ideas on fairycake decorations.

doradoo Mon 08-Dec-14 18:46:25

look on pinterest there were some great ideas on there - rudolf / santa / 3d trees using rice krispie cakes to make the 3d-ness / etc etc etc!

hectoronthehill Mon 08-Dec-14 21:03:51

Thanks. Think Christmas pudding lookalike sort of things will be my best bet/ easiest.

I kinda wanna do something with snowflakes now though!

guineapig1 Mon 08-Dec-14 21:10:10

I saw a lovely idea for Rudolph ones the other day. Along the lines you suggested, chocolate icing, glacé cherry for the nose, small blob of white icing with a tiny drop of chocolate for the eyes and... Pretzels for horns which had been stuck upright in the chocolate before it melted. No, I mean antlers not horns don't i?!!

Tinkerball Mon 08-Dec-14 21:38:45

How about something like these I made? Very easy, butter-cream dyed a light blue, some are covered in snowflake sprinkles I got in Morrisons and some are covered in snowflakes I made out of white fondant using a snowflake cutter. Then covered in sparkly white icing sugar I got in Asda.

meerschweinchen Mon 08-Dec-14 21:43:48

I like these reindeer cakes:
www.lidl.co.uk/en/4125.htm

Really easy to do too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now