Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Egg free butter biscuits ??

(14 Posts)
mumtosp Fri 05-Dec-14 17:50:06

Hi all,

I am very new to baking... I have a recipe book and some basic equipment and sometime back I tried my hand at a simple Apple cake and it turned out pretty well smile

So now I want to try my hand at some simple butter biscuits... I have some lovely Christmas theme cutters grin

However, DS is allergic to wheat and eggs ! I have wheat free flour, but not sure what can replace the egg. The recipe I am looking at only uses one egg yolk and it says that the yolk is only required to make the dough soft... so what can be an ideal replacement ? milk ?!

Also, I have been led to believe that I can follow the same recipe and replace normal flour with wheat free flour and get the same results.... is that true ?

Thanks in advance smile

SunnySomer Fri 05-Dec-14 17:56:17

I can give you a different recipe:
100g caster sugar
200g softened butter
300g flour
Pinch of salt
Raspberry jam
Icing sugar

Use a warm bowl to beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
Work the flour and salt in quickly.
Wrap in cling film and leave in a cool place for an hour.
Roll dough out 3mm thick. Cut out shapes and bake at 180degrees in a preheated oven for 15 mins.
Once cold, sandwich together with jam, then dust the biscuits with icing sugar.
They are quite rich, but melt in your mouth!
(They're Swiss Christmas biscuits known as Spitzbuben)

PurplePidjin Fri 05-Dec-14 17:57:44

My 2yo ds and I love making shortbread, you could use GF flour or possibly corn or rice flour which would give a lovely crunchy texture

Cream together 2oz sugar and 4oz butter. Use your hands to rub in 6oz flour until it turns into dough.

The more you work it the more like playdough it becomes so perfect for littlies to help with. I substitute 1tbsp mixed spice for 1tbsp flour to make gingerbread men smile

Pipbin Fri 05-Dec-14 17:58:05

I make this recipe all the time. No eggs. www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shortbread_1290

SunnySomer Fri 05-Dec-14 17:58:16

Ps don't know about the replacement flour, but I'd just give it a go. Maybe reduce the quantities in proportion so you don't waste too much if results aren't great!

mumtosp Fri 05-Dec-14 20:03:05

Thanks for all the alternate recipes ! smile

SunnySomer that's a good point... Will make a note to not make 50 biscuits ;)

Can I ask if I can replace some of the sugar quantity with honey or will that ruin the recipe ??

Thanks again smile

SunnySomer Sun 07-Dec-14 08:29:40

Umm. To be honest I wouldnt. They're a very shortbready texture and I'm not sure how you'd incorporate it properly... How about Stevia or something, if you want to use less real sugar?

mumtosp Tue 16-Dec-14 11:23:27

Hi all,

Just wanted to report back that the shortbread turned out pretty well !
Pipbin I tried the recipe you recommended smile

They were a bit crumbly... any suggestions on how to get around that?

Ironically, these were specially made for DS who is allergic to eggs and wheat and he refused to eat any!! Thankfully, DH finished them off ;)

I need to make some cupcakes for Christmas so that DS and his little friend (who also has allergies) will have something to eat while the rest of us are digging into our Christmas pudding!

I have found numerous recipes for egg free wheat free cupcakes, but I would love to hear from those of you who have actually made these...

Also, how far in advance can I make the cupcakes? I don't want to be baking it on Christmas day and since I am working right up to Christmas, I was hoping to make them over the coming weekend.... is that too early? will they last?

Thanks again smile

mumtosp Thu 18-Dec-14 22:05:45

bump smile

MegBusset Thu 18-Dec-14 22:09:02

Hiya I think Sainsbury's do a Christmas pudding in their Free From range which is both gluten and egg free... might be worth a look to save you baking?

MegBusset Thu 18-Dec-14 22:11:15

It's actually tesco -http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274455946

mumtosp Sat 20-Dec-14 21:10:40

Thanks MegBusset ... Will definitely check that out smile

Icedfinger Sun 21-Dec-14 20:14:46

I've made this recipe as cupcakes for allergic children. Was really easy and went down well.

[http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-and-wheat-free-sponge-layer-cake/]

mumtosp Sun 28-Dec-14 11:56:01

Hi all,

I finally followed this recipe

They turned out pretty nice... Well at least DS had something to eat while we were having Christmas pudding smile

The texture was a bit powdery, but that may be because I replaced normal flour with gluten free flour....

Anyways, thanks again for all your advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now