Talk

Advanced search

Have I oversteamed my Christmas pudding?

(6 Posts)
hackneybird Tue 11-Nov-14 20:47:32

Making my own Xmas pud for the first time, using nigella's recipe.

For the first steam I put it in the slow cooker to steam. I put it on high at first to bring the water up to temp but forgot to turn it to low and it had steamed at high for three hours before I remembered.

Is it ruined and should I make another or do you think it will be ok?

ouryve Tue 11-Nov-14 20:51:03

Give it a sniff to see if it smells burnt.

Some recipes have great big 2lb puddings steaming (in a normal steamer pan) for 8 hours until they're really dark. I divide into 2 1lb puds which get 5 hours each. It's a moist method of cooking, so the longer it's in, the darker it gets, but doesn't tend to burn unless it runs dry.

ouryve Tue 11-Nov-14 20:55:21

And looking at info about slow cookers, I don't think they work any differently for Christmas puds than having the pud on a trivet in a pan of water, so it should be fine, so long as it didn't dry out.

hackneybird Wed 12-Nov-14 19:18:59

Thank you! It doesn't seem burnt at all. It's a 2lb pud so hoping all those ingredients haven't gone to waste.

ouryve Wed 12-Nov-14 19:32:35

It'll probably be perfect, then!

agoodbook Wed 12-Nov-14 19:51:00

Can I say- you really can't oversteam a good xmas pudding! I pressure cook mine for 2 hours, then steam again for an hour on the day. It usually gets better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now