Talk

Advanced search

Most nutritious cake/biscuit your kids will still eat?

(22 Posts)
Lovage Wed 05-Nov-14 20:58:24

I just tried Tunisian Shortbread (chickpea flour, butter, sugar, flavouring) and one DC would eat them but the other wouldn't.

Flapjack with oil instead of butter and added seeds is probably my most nutritious but still eaten one.

How about you?

Bunbaker Wed 05-Nov-14 20:59:23

Carrot cake grin

milkjetmum Wed 05-Nov-14 21:00:39

Chocolate banana muffin. That's as healthy as cake should get IMO wink

slightlyglitterstained Wed 05-Nov-14 21:03:06

Banana oaties. Bananas, oats.

Though there are plenty of less healthy cakes and biscuits he likes too.

Wigeon Wed 05-Nov-14 21:03:15

Banana cake
Banana muffin
Carrot cake
Parsnip cake (yes, really! It was actually really good!)
Do flapjacks made with golden syrup and condensed milk count?!

Schoolaroundthecorner Wed 05-Nov-14 21:05:01

Flapjacks but only if the dried fruit is chopped up really small.

Anzac biscuits - at least there are oats in them..

He did eat a strawberry cupcake where the butter was replaced by grated courgette. I'm wasn't a fan but he liked them. He'd probably eat anything with grated vegetables if chelate was one of the other main components grin

Schoolaroundthecorner Wed 05-Nov-14 21:05:32

Chelate? Flips sake - chocolate!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 05-Nov-14 21:06:37

Chocolate and beetroot muffins

Pumpkin muffins

Debs75 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:07:14

Mine are huge fans of Soreen, especially the new orange flavour. Not sure if that is healthy or not

If I bake healthy it is banana bread and fruity flapjacks without the syrup. They eat that

MamaMed Wed 05-Nov-14 21:07:22

OP, may I have the Tunisian shortbread recipe please?

chocomochi Wed 05-Nov-14 21:07:33

Chocolate and courgette "oat" cakes, replacing some of the flour with porridge oats.

Banana and honey oat loaf, again replace some of the flour with oats and reduce a lot of he sugar by replacing with honey.

agoodbook Wed 05-Nov-14 21:10:46

Well as healthy as I can is multi veg muffins- recipe I got off here for my DGS - he's a cake maniac! broccoliandricecakes.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/vegetarian-recipes-multi-veg-muffins/

annamar Thu 06-Nov-14 10:59:54

Agree with the banana loaf suggestions above. Here's a link to a good banana loaf recipe which uses wholemeal flour and brown sugar which always seems a bit healthier. They also have a lovely article on how to get your kids to help you bake it www.bananaloafrecipe.co.uk/bakingBananaLoafWithKids.html.

Lovage Thu 06-Nov-14 11:40:48

Tunisian Shortbread recipe here: allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/17381/tunisian-shortbread.aspx Is gluten-free, which is always useful for gf friends.

I didn't have rosewater so used orange blossom water for some and pistachio essence for the rest. They've been very popular with some adults but mostly not with kids. Vanilla would probably work too, although it would be less tunisian!

SarahCraine Mon 10-Nov-14 05:36:11

Kids in the house love banana. So I looked for some cake recipes and found the recipe of Sugar Free Applesauce and Banana Cake on the net long ago and tried it at home. Everyone really enjoyed it, Most especially the kids. So now I am trying the Spiced Banana Cake With Dried Fruit recipe to see if they will still like it. And I am looking forward to bake another one which is Banana and Blueberry Cake for Christmas.

boxoftissues Mon 10-Nov-14 05:58:20

breakfast bars: oats almonds cashews hazelnuts sunflower and pumpkin seeds dried cherries goji berries all bound together with condensed milk and baked for an hour. Delicious and v nutritious.

AmericasTorturedBrow Mon 10-Nov-14 05:58:53

DS bakes with me and we've a few recipes that over time I've massively reduced the sugar so he still wolfs them down but a child used to sugary normal cake would prob hate

His favorites are 5veg muffins and chocolate and avocado cookies

AmericasTorturedBrow Mon 10-Nov-14 05:59:21

Also I do all baking vegan, which ups the health factor

LakeFlyPie Wed 19-Nov-14 20:41:17

Carrot cake made with olive oil and 1/3 recommend amount of sugar. I add an extra couple of handfuls of raisin for sweetness

TheAlias Wed 19-Nov-14 20:53:17

My DC love these Black Bean Brownie

Not sure they can really claim to be healthy but I suppose every little helps.

TheAlias Wed 19-Nov-14 20:55:07

LakeFly, does that make them healthier? How much sugar are you replacing with dried fruit? I understood sugar in dried fruit is just as bad for your health as refined sugar and actually worse for your teeth (because it sticks more)

LakeFlyPie Thu 20-Nov-14 21:44:20

I'm not a nutritional expert but think the raisins probably have greater nutritional value, i.e. minerals, vitamins and fibre than refined sugar.

In terms of 'healthiness' I don't think cakes and biscuits are ever going to rate particularly highly but the cake does taste good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now