Talk

Advanced search

Really shiny icing

(6 Posts)
farmerslife Mon 03-Nov-14 16:05:57

I am making dh a gin cake (bottle of Bombay sapphire) for his birthday, fruit cake make, icing topper procured just need instructions on how to make shiny glass like icing and may be how it would go about making a glass ! Thanks thanks

farmerslife Mon 03-Nov-14 18:42:11

Bump !

farmerslife Mon 03-Nov-14 21:52:59

Am I destined to have dull icing forever !

Osmiornica Mon 03-Nov-14 21:54:52

I know if you rub fondant it makes it shiny but that might be tricky to do on a big cake. How about piping gel over the top?

Do you mean a sugar glass glass? If so I would boil the sugar then draw an outline of the glass on baking paper (curved so that when you bend it it forms a v shape). Pour the sugar on the paper and make sure it covers the entire shape. Wait a minute or so while the sugar hardens but not too hard then pick it up and bend into shape. Make the stem and base separately.

If you work with sugar glass make sure you don't do it too far in advance as it can 'melt' in humidity and doesn't keep well.

hth

farmerslife Mon 03-Nov-14 22:50:22

Thanks the glass thing sounds prefect. grin

Osmiornica Tue 04-Nov-14 00:12:53

Oh, and if you want clear 'glass' you need to use isomalt rather than sugar as it sets a nice clear colour but tastes shit so depends on whether you want to eat it afterwards or not. (it might also give you a bad stomach if you eat too much - or is that a different sweetener?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now