Talk

Advanced search

HELP.....MY EGGS WHITES WONT WHISK, ONLY HAVE ONE LEFT NOW

(14 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Fri 31-Oct-14 15:48:32

Am making an orange and almond cake but my egg whites wont whisk, Ive cleaned out the bowl and checked that there is no yolk or shell and had 2 attempts they are like watery foam sad

Im using a hand mixer ... the single one not double pronged one could this be the probem?

right I cant ask this now as only have 1 egg lefts

LoveWillTearUsApart Fri 31-Oct-14 15:52:25

How long have you been whisking for? Was the bowl totally dry when you used it?
I hate it when things go wrong sad

hulahoopsilove Fri 31-Oct-14 15:53:50

whisking for around 5-6 mins, yes I dried bowl out on my 2nd attempt made sure everything was spick and span even added a bit of caster sugar to bulk but to no available will keep oranges Ive just cooked and have another go tomorrow. OH my bowl is plastic I may invest in a large glass bowl tomorrow its beaten me today

ppeatfruit Fri 31-Oct-14 15:54:30

I would say that you have old eggs! They need to be less than 2 weeks old and more than 4 days old, plus (importantly) room temperature to whisk well.

hulahoopsilove Fri 31-Oct-14 15:57:31

first batch was sell by 2 Nov, just been out and bought some more to try and the sell by was 19 Nov

DayLillie Fri 31-Oct-14 16:00:10

A pinch of salt sometimes helps

Not sugar, though

YawningAndSmiling Fri 31-Oct-14 16:01:24

try in a clean metal pan?

hulahoopsilove Fri 31-Oct-14 16:03:24

will have another go tomorrow thanks everyone

MrsCosmopilite Fri 31-Oct-14 16:03:56

Could you try adding a (small) pinch of cream of tartar?

ppeatfruit Fri 31-Oct-14 16:07:31

Yes I don't think that plastic is a good material for egg whisking!

BobsTaintedLeftLeg Fri 31-Oct-14 16:51:36

Plastic tends to "hold" grease, so that's probably why.

Better off using a metal or glass bowl.

DayLillie Fri 31-Oct-14 17:06:23

Hopefully the newer eggs will be better! I am not sure how old they are when they reach their sell-by, but the are noticeably a bit on the old side, usually.

hulahoopsilove Fri 31-Oct-14 21:32:13

the eggs were fresh as the yolks were lovely and high Im guessing the plastic bowl was the problem as someone said plastic holds grease

Catsmamma Fri 31-Oct-14 21:37:48

i thought it was the other way about for eggs...old eggs whisk better!

I use a glass bowl or china, never plastic and I only ever use a hand whisk, the extra exercise means I can eat more ;)

I do remember a tip from my old HE teacher which was to separate the eggs the day before and let them sit overnight in the fridge before using them

....i often cba to make meringue when i have an egg yolk used and a white spare, so have done this many times. I put the white/s in a bowl and cover with clingfilm, like you would for no skin on a custard...no air gap and let the cling touch the white

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now