Talk

Advanced search

Help! Dd wants to make a cake model of a Byzantine church ...

(15 Posts)
basildonbond Wed 22-Oct-14 10:57:26

Any ideas for decorations/general tips? I've managed to talk her down from a full-scale model of the Hagia Sophia but it's still very ambitious hmm

It's for Y7 RE homework (sigh) - doesn't have to be cake btw, just a 3D model

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 22-Oct-14 18:38:46

I'm uselessly sorry about this but bhahahahahah. grin

And a subtle bump. wink

BrieAndChilli Wed 22-Oct-14 18:41:28

Would gingerbread work better? Can roll out, cut out shapes an add detail before baking

basildonbond Wed 22-Oct-14 19:04:01

Thank you chaos hmmgrin I bloody hate homework like this - SD is always so wildly overambitious and I just know that it'll be me desperately trying to salvage something at 11pm the night before it's due in confused

Thanks too Brie - dd did mention gingerbread but I worry how it would survive the journey to school on the bus ...

basildonbond Wed 22-Oct-14 19:04:27

Gah - dd not SD

LizzieMint Wed 22-Oct-14 19:09:28

How about using rice Krispie treats? You make them by melting marshmallows and a little bit of fat (butter or trex) and mixing that into rice krispies. You can make it really firm and it's easy to carve shapes out of. You then just cover it as if it were cake. It's what is used for most elaborate 'cake' models these days. She could do a cake base and make a dome (in pyrex bowl?) out of these.

elfycat Wed 22-Oct-14 19:11:21

I was going to suggest looking at gingerbread house recipes. Bake flat hard biscuit, cut shapes and glue with icing.

I hope my DDs are less ambitious, but I have a horrible feeling I'll be doing similar one day.

Howlycopter Wed 22-Oct-14 19:23:31

Diclaimer- I had to Google byzantine churches.

Your DD could use a square cake tin for the centre piece. Then baked bean tins or similar for the side bits - cut the round cakes in half down the middle and stick them to the sides of the square one for the right kind of shape?

Then for the decoration, walnut whips might be the right shape for minarets.

basildonbond Fri 24-Oct-14 08:56:43

Thanks all .. Good tip about Rice Krispie treats - will definitely try those for domes

antimatter Sat 25-Oct-14 22:10:49

I hope you can manage to make it - very ambitious!
Maybe this would help?
www.essential-humanities.net/western-art/architecture/medieval/#byzantine-empire

www.pinterest.com/pin/189995678004467070/
taken from:
www.pinterest.com/jnmadani/byzantine-empire-for-kids/

Hagia Sophia but simplified grin

basildonbond Sun 09-Nov-14 17:27:54

Well, she made it! Not sure how authentic it is but it's done smile

LizzieMint Wed 12-Nov-14 18:41:34

Fantastic!

Lovetheleaves Wed 12-Nov-14 18:45:45

Oh that's fabulous. Well done

Ohanarama Wed 12-Nov-14 18:57:49

Wow that's fab. She would get on well with my DS who wants a St Basils Cathedral cake for his birthday (not very likelygrin)

glorious Fri 09-Jan-15 19:27:42

That is fabulous, well done basildon's DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now