Talk

Advanced search

Corn syrup - ice shards

(28 Posts)
Tinkerball Wed 15-Oct-14 22:18:23

I have a couple of Frozen cakes coming up and Im planning to decorate with "ice" shards dyed blue, all recipes online suggest using corn syrup. Obviously this is American and difficult to get hold of here, its on Ebay but very expensive! Someone suggested golden syrup, its not about taste but colour - I would think might not work as its darker colour to begin with. Found a tub of glucose syrup - do you think this would be suitable?

stealthsquiggle Wed 15-Oct-14 22:21:37

Marking place as I have sort of promised to do the same, and was thinking glucose syrup as well...

Tinkerball Wed 15-Oct-14 22:23:53

I've made edible blood for a birthday cake before using corn syrup (birthday girl paid for it!) and basically its just a thick clear syrup...its the clearness which will make it easy to colour blue isnt it.

crazykat Wed 15-Oct-14 22:28:21

I'm making dd2 a frozen birthday cake in a few weeks and I'm going to use isomalt to make the ice shards.

Its about £6 including delivery from amazon for the clear one. I'm going to use some edible glitter either mixed in or on top for extra sparkle.

Coloured isomalt is more expensive, especially blue, but I'm hoping adding a bit of gel food colouring will work, if not I'll leave the ice shards clear.

Tinkerball Wed 15-Oct-14 22:39:02

Oh sounds good crazykat - will you come back on this thread and post your results if you dont mind?

Tinkerball Wed 15-Oct-14 22:40:21

How would you make them using isomalt, forgot to ask!

stealthsquiggle Wed 15-Oct-14 22:51:15

Coloured isomalt the same price as the clear stuff here (good supplier, I can recommend them)

crazykat Thu 16-Oct-14 14:08:59

I've never used isomalt before but I've seen it used.

I'm planning to melt it and just pour it onto a baking tray and leaving to cool. Then I'm going to score it into the shapes I want and break it. I don't want the shards to be all the same as I want it to look natural so it doesn't matter too much about them being perfect.

I'm going to order some to practice with next week and ill let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the link secret those prices are much better then amazon for the blue one.

Justgotosleepnow Thu 16-Oct-14 14:22:22

I've melted foxes glacier mints to make gingerbread house windows. If it breaks it's very 'shardy', maybe try that instead?

stealthsquiggle Thu 16-Oct-14 14:29:53

I considered that, justgotosleep, but really wanted blue shards and also don't really want the whole cake to end up tasting minty.

Looking forward to hearing results of isomalt experiments.

LizzieMint Fri 17-Oct-14 09:56:32

Corn syrup (on amazon) is cheaper than isomalt or glucose syrup I think - you can get a 700g bottle for £5.50.
What do you do with it in the recipe? Just wondering if you might be able to make something with a normal sugar syrup? I've made moulded jewels from hard candy before, I'm sure that just used white sugar.

HoneyDragonMumshnet Fri 17-Oct-14 09:58:02

I make this, you need liquid glucose.

In the supermarket it's about £1.80 a tube. The Dr Otketer one is good

HoneyDragonMumshnet Fri 17-Oct-14 10:00:07

Ingredients:
500ml water
785g granulated sugar
A few drops of gel food colouring (optional)
250ml liquid glucose
¼ tsp cream of tartar

Apparatus:
One shallow baking tray, lined with foil, with no gaps
Oil spray
Sugar thermometer

Recipe:
Spray your prepared baking tray all over with the oil spray at least 30 minutes before you want to use it. Place the water, sugar, food colouring (if using), liquid glucose and cream of tartar into a pan with a sugar thermometer attached and stir to combine. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, until it reaches 150°C – approximately 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool to 130°C – approximately 10 minutes, then pour the mixture quickly and carefully into the oiled baking tray. Allow to cool completely. Pop the sugar sheet very carefully out of the tray, then, using a meat tenderiser, hit the sheet carefully in the centre so it cracks into shards.

HoneyDragonMumshnet Fri 17-Oct-14 10:02:13

I assume you mean like this

<--- (please don't laugh at my Sven)

ireallydontlikemonday Fri 17-Oct-14 10:03:57

Isomalt from Lakeland or eBay worked for mine and I am a very inept cake decorator!

MFIC Fri 17-Oct-14 17:37:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

stealthsquiggle Fri 17-Oct-14 17:46:15

Ooh. Interesting. I am now torn between corn syrup and the apparent ease of Isomalt.

VirtualPointyHat Fri 17-Oct-14 17:46:54

glucose will definitely do it.

Corn syrup is mostly fructose, so slightly sweeter, but the chemistry is very similar and will certainly do what you want

marymouse Fri 17-Oct-14 20:30:14

I just used alot of sugar and water and boiled until it became thick and sticky. Then as it cooled slightly I added the blue food colouring. I then poured onto a non stick baking tray to harden.

Not scientific at all but it worked

stealthsquiggle Sat 18-Oct-14 22:56:33

The American food section in our Tesco has 5 sorts of pancake syrup and no corn syrup angry

Tinkerball Sun 19-Oct-14 13:37:52

HoneyDragonMumshnet

Thats great, thanks for that recipe so much, I have liquid glucose in the house that I've never used. I think your cake looks brilliant!!

Sadly our Tesco doesnt have the corn syrup, I had already checked that out..but they do have expensive chocolate bars like Butterfingers that my kids loved last year on holiday in California!

Tinkerball Sun 19-Oct-14 13:40:39

Just checked out Amazon to...that might be worth it as you can also make the most realistic edible blood using corn syrup (with cocoa powder and red colour )!

trinitybleu Wed 22-Oct-14 20:42:36

As I said elsewhere, we did the shards and got the corn syrup from Ocado.

If anyone in North Warwickshire wants some, I have a spare bottle!

trinitybleu Wed 22-Oct-14 20:43:21

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Karo-Light-Corn-Syrup/43269011

Tinkerball Thu 23-Oct-14 13:55:21

I don't think Ocado deliver here, I'm in Scotland. That would have been fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now